Saturday, October 3, 2015

Home Office Makeover

Posted by Devin


Yay, it's here! I finally get to show you all my home office makeover! I am just in love with how it turned out and super excited that I get to work in this bright and pretty space now. But before we go any further, let's take a look at what my office looked like before:


Oh boy, it was drab. You can check out my full before post, but really, what's the point? It's all about the after, am I right?!! So moving on... As many of you know I am participating in a "Bid on a Budget" contest with EJ's Auction & Consignment. Here's how the contest works: Two other fantastic local bloggers and I were each given a $500 budget to purchase items at EJ's Auction over a four week period which we then used to redecorate and recreate a space in our homes. Anything that is sold at the auction was up for grabs, from furniture and artwork to dishes and small appliances, there were so many fun pieces to choose from! Once we purchased our items, we then had four additional weeks to decorate our spaces and now you all get to vote on your favorite make-over! (Mine! Mine! Mine!) The winner receives a $500 cash prize and a $100 store credit at EJ's to use for a giveaway on their blog. To vote for your favorite makeover, head over to the EJ's Website! What are you waiting for?! Go vote! (For me!) ;)


Alright, now let's take a look at what I got from EJ's with my $500 budget! You can see each of the items and how much I paid for them in the photo below. Besides one small couch, I was looking to pick up all new furniture for my space at the auction. I knew I wanted some decorative items as well, but decided to start with my large furniture pieces and then move on to accessories.


My first order of business: find a great desk! I was super lucky to have two desks in the style I was looking for come up for auction the second week of bidding. I won my first choice for the bargain price of $50! Woot! Woot! The desk needed a bit of work and I'll be showing the full re-vamp on a post soon, but here's a before and after shot:

Queen Anne Style Desk, $50

The desk looks better, right? I love it in white. In the first two weeks of bidding I also picked up a large dresser for my office storage, a metal 3-tiered baker's rack for my electronics, and a globe on a stand because an office NEEDS a globe. The dresser was originally a very dark wood and I knew from the moment I saw it that it would be a great piece if it was painted a brighter and lighter color and given some fun hardware. Again, I'll be posting a full tutorial on this project, but here's the dresser before and after:

Wood Dresser, $55

The desk and dresser projects were fun, but I will admit I was super excited to find a metal baker's rack ALREADY (no painting required) in the color I wanted for my office: bright yellow. I knew I wanted a baker's rack for my office even before I knew I would be participating in this contest, so this was definitely a real score for me! I love the functionality of this piece in my space and the fun vintage look and feel. The acrylic wheels are the cherry on top! Super cool. It houses my laptop when I'm not using it, my Silhouette Cameo machine, and my printer.

3-Tier Metal Baker's Rack, $40

The globe also required a little makeover to cutesify it, so to speak. I love the way it turned out! You can check out the full post on this project on our blog and here's a quick before and after shot:

Globe with Stand, $25

After the purchase of these first four items (i.e. the desk, dresser, baker's rack, and globe), I was ready to move on to some accessories. I knew I wanted lamps for the dresser and a few decorative pieces and was excited to see what would be coming up for auction! On the third week of bidding, I used up the last of my budget when I won a model ship, a set of modern lamps, and a cuckoo clock. Surprisingly, these smaller items were more costly than the larger pieces! Here's a closer look at what I won:

Model Ship, $65

I really like model ships. I don't know why, but I do. Especially for office decor. And I was lucky enough to have a number of them come up for auction within my bidding month and even luckier to win the one I wanted! I did have to go to the top of my budget for this piece as there were others who wanted it as well, but I'm glad I had enough funds to pick it up. It was a bit dusty and had a small stain in the sail, but a little elbow grease quickly took care of that and now it looks great!

Set of Modern Lamps, $30

There seemed to be quite a few lamps up for auction each week and after some internal debate over which ones I wanted to bid on, I settled on these classic, black lamps. I liked the height and size for my space and with a simple switch of the shades, they were perfect for my room.

German Cuckoo Clock, $160

The cuckoo clock ended up being the toughest win of the auction for me. There was one other lady who, like me, had her eye on this clock. Although there were a few other clocks up for grabs, this one was the best in my opinion. She and I got into a bit of a bidding war and the price went much higher than I had anticipated. Because this was the last item of the day that I had my eye on and I had plenty of funds still in my budget, I fought for it. I really wanted this cuckoo clock! Although it meant my budget was exhausted, I'm super happy that I won the clock. Sorry little lady from the auction! The clock was originally your run-of-the-mill wood tone, but I jazzed it up with some spray paint to make it this fun yellow color. I love love love it! You can see my cuckoo clock makeover post on the blog.

So how do you guys think I did with my bidding? For $500, I think I did pretty well! Here's some more shots of the final office:






And that's that! I absolutely love my new office and feel quite certain the creative juices will be flowing in here. Don't forget to go vote for my office over at the EJ's website! Voting runs from October 3rd through October 18th and the winner will be announced on the 24th. Thanks, guys!
Xoxo, Devin

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At November 14, 2015 at 11:18 PM , Blogger Jen McKrafty said...

Super cute! Can I ask where you found your rug? I've been on the hunt for something JUST like this!!!!!

 
At June 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM , Blogger Jackie K said...

same where did you get the rug?

 
At July 8, 2016 at 12:55 AM , Blogger Tara Carroll said...

The rug is from IKEA! Thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home