Monday, July 13, 2015

DIY Painted Lockers

Posted by Devin


Old school lockers are the coolest. Unfortunately, they can be a bit difficult to find. I have had my eye out for a set for years and although I had found some on Craigslist and at antique markets, they were always pretty expensive. Of course, me being me, I wanted to find some for a steal or I didn't want them at all. A few months ago my husband was rear-ended on his way to work. A total bummer, obviously, but no one was injured, our truck was quickly repaired, and when my hubs pulled over to exchange information with the gentleman who hit him he happened to park right next to a man selling these lockers! Score! He procured this set of lockers for me for the grand total of $30. Woot! Woot! I was stoked. Here's what they looked like when I got them.


They were pretty dirty and grimy, the usual boring gray color, and had tons of stickers on the doors. First things first, I needed to clean them up. I grabbed some all-purpose cleaner and got to work spraying and wiping everything down, inside and out. The hardest part was getting all of the stickers off but I found that the all-purpose cleaner combined with an abrasive-sided sponge worked great! I simply sprayed and scrubbed each sticker and they came off without too much of a hassle.


I knew I wanted my lockers to be a pretty color but wasn't sure of the best method for painting metal lockers. I considered spray painting them, priming them with an oil-based primer and then rolling plain exterior paint on with rollers, or using chalk paint. I finally decided to try my hand at chalk paint for this project and I was not disappointed. I used BB Frosh chalk powder added to my Valspar paint. The paint color is La Fonda Mirage and I used an Eggshell finish because it's what I already had available in my garage from past projects. But before painting, I had to remove all of the metal hardware from each of the locker doors. 


Once painting started, I found that the chalk paint worked great! It adhered well to the metal and took about 4 coats, but that didn't surprise me since I was trying to cover gray metal with a light blue color. Also, the coats went really quickly. Here are some photos of the progression of the painting.


After I was done painting, I applied a quick coat of the BB Frosh wax to give the paint a nice, smooth finish and feel. I then used my Silhouette Cameo to number each of the locker doors with vinyl numbers. I have a thing for things being labeled so I love this little detail. 



And that's it! I'm loving my new lockers in my entryway and so are the boys. They each have three designated lockers to keep their things in and they couldn't be more excited about it. Strange the things kids get excited about, but I'll take it! If you happen to get lucky enough to score some awesome vintage lockers too, I hope this tutorial will help you out with pretty-ing them up! Stay tuned for tutorials on the canvas silhouettes and the number 6 sign!

Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Creative Collection // Fluster Buster // Tidy Mom // Moonlight and Mason Jars //

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At July 13, 2015 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Dez said...

Agh! I've been looking for lockers FOREVER!!! I'm so jealous you scored these for so cheap! Love it!

 
At July 17, 2015 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Rachel Baumann - Fifty Two Weekends said...

Nice! Form + Function = <3

 
At July 19, 2015 at 2:34 AM , Blogger Gilly Morrison said...

Love love love these! What a great find and I agree that it is better to get them for a steal!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home