Thursday, March 26, 2015

Road Map Serving Tray

Posted by Devin

As you may have noticed by a few of my other posts (Hometown Map Pendant Necklace, DIY Hanging Map), I have a thing for maps. I just love them. So when I started planning out the decor for my travel trailer, I knew I was going to want to use a map or a globe somewhere... they are perfect for a travel trailer! You can check out where you're heading and where you've been! I also knew I wanted a serving tray for the convenience of another surface in the trailer and then the thought struck me: combine the two! So here is the tutorial for my DIY Road Map Serving Tray. I think it turned out pretty cute. ;)


What You Need:
Road Map
Serving Tray
Exacto Knife/Scissors
Mod Podge (I got mine from the dollar section at Target)
Spray Paint
Sponge Brush

Step 1: Measure the inside of your serving tray and cut your map to size. I cut out my map to cover the area surrounding our home state, where we will be traveling the most.


Step 2: Spray paint your serving tray your desired color. I have a real love/hate relationship with spray paint, but it worked great for this project. You don't have to worry about completely spray painting the surface where your map will be since it won't be showing.

Step 3: Apply a coat of mod podge to the top of the tray to prepare it for your map. The picture makes it look like I applied a very thick coat, but I spread it over the surface and it ended up being more of a medium application.


Step 4: Place your map on the tray, pressing the paper as you go to smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. I ended up using a card to help me with the smoothing process. There will still be wrinkles and bubbles left when you're done, but just do your best and don't worry about it. I promise it will turn out nicely.


Step 5: Apply two coats of mod podge over the map, waiting 15-20 minutes between coats. These should be relatively thin coats. Here is my map (below) before the top coats and you can see it looks pretty wrinkly. The mod podge helps to smooth it out quite a bit, but I was actually happy with the wrinkles that were left in the end as I thought it gave it a cool, old map feel.


Step 6: I didn't list this in the items needed, but I finished my project off by spraying the whole thing with a clear acrylic spray to seal everything and protect it. Just a simple added step to insure that my project will withstand the abuse my family is sure to put it through in our trailer.


And that's it! I LOVE how this project turned out and can't wait to use it in our trailer. In the meantime, it will be sitting pretty in my house where I can admire it. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home