Monday, March 2, 2015

10 Must Have Family Games

Posted by Tara



In my family, we are big-time game players. I would say we play games 1-2 times a week depending on what game we have been digging recently. I have 5 kids so we always try to find games that everyone can play and (mostly) understand. Lately we started playing Monopoly and as much as I played it when I was younger, it is totally different when you are the adult trying to help four kids play. It feels more like we have been playing Family Feud than Monopoly! :)
I am sure playing video games with the kids is just as fun, but we are old school here and don't own any video games. We tried having a Wii, but I had a child become consumed with playing it 24-7. The sad part is, it was my youngest. That being said, today I am going to share some fun games you can play with your family that don't involve electronics!

Uno


Uno is a classic. I love that it teaches kids about numbers and colors. We were taught by some good friends how to play a faster version of Uno and we can't get enough of it! It's so much fun and the kids even know how to play it. I love Uno because you can bring it with you anywhere... vacation, beach, family get-togethers, you name it!

Skip-Bo


I grew up playing Skip-Bo with my great-grandmother. She was amazing at it and I have fond memories of her playing and winning games. Skip-Bo is also great for kids to practice their numbers and number sequence. 

Connect 4


I have to admit, I am terrible at this game. For some reason I can't follow where I am supposed to put my pieces and where my opponent is putting their's! LOL! My kids rock at this and so does my husband. I still have fun playing and "trying" to connect 4.

Yahtzee

I had never heard of or played Yahtzee until I married into my husband's family. Once I learned how to play I fell in love with it. I do have to admit, you need some luck to get a Yahtzee (which my husband gets every time) but if you don't it's still a fun game. Most of my kids know how to play and love rolling the dice and counting them up. I am always impressed when my boys add up the dice before me (I'm terrible at math). 

Sorry


Sorry is a great game for all ages! I  love playing this game with the younger kids while the older ones are at school. They enjoy beating mom at this game!

Trouble


Most entertaining dice award goes to Trouble! I remember as a kid, the dice in a bubble would keep me entertained for hours.  Super easy game to play with the kids! They will love it.

Jenga


Who hasn't played Jenga?! So much fun for all ages! I love watching my kids play this one and try to be daring and grab from the bottom. Great game to play for family night!

Phase 10


Phase 10 is one of my favorites. This is a game that takes a while to get through, but is very entertaining! One minute you could be winning but the game can quickly change! Younger kids will need assistance with this one, but my older ones (7+) do just fine! 

Monopoly


This game is one you need to play with older kids. Like I mentioned before, it can be a bit of a headache playing with younger ones. My older boys love it and do really well playing it. We make sure the younger ones have a different game they can play together while we are playing it so everyone is involved.

Candy Land

Of course I couldn't leave this classic out. We used to have it but it got so worn out I just recently had to throw it out. I am hoping to get another one for the family this year. Such a great board game to play with the entire family. If you don't own Candy Land, it's a good game to try out if you have younger kiddos!

I enjoy all the time my family and I spend playing games! They are memories that we are creating as a family and I cherish them! I hope I was able to help you pick out your next game for Family Game Night!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home