Monday, February 9, 2015

DIY Hanging Map

Posted by Devin


I have been on the hunt for a roll-down or canvas type world map for forever. I love the way they look and I thought my kiddos would really enjoy having one on the wall to study and learn from and check out when I get those frequent questions of "Mom, where is (insert random country or city here)?" Unfortunately, every time I would find one I liked, it came with a hefty price tag. I kept trying to score an old school map on Craigslist for super cheap, but after a year plus of looking, I was still empty handed. The junking-gods were not favoring me.

And then I was attending my local biannual vintage market (the best one around these parts, Junk in the Trunk, if you aren't familiar with it) when I came across an older paper map in one of the booths. It wasn't a pull-down or canvas map, but when I opened it up I could see it was pretty close to the size I was looking for and I really loved the colors. For the bargain price of $1, I brought it home with me and thought I would try to find a way to use it. 

Flash forward another 6 months, still hadn't done a thing with my map, and as I was cleaning out my laundry room I came across some old Roman shades from IKEA. Inspiration struck! I decided to turn them into a canvas backdrop for my paper map! So if you've got some old roman shades or even a large piece of canvas fabric, here is your tutorial for turning a paper map into a hanging canvas map!


Supplies:
Paper map
Roman shades or canvas fabric
Needle and thread (or sewing machine)
Hot Glue Gun
Tape

Step 1: My paper map was a little bit beat up, so I went around the edges and taped up any places that were beginning to rip. I made sure to tape it up on the back of the map so it wouldn't show on the front.


Step 2: I laid my two Roman shades out side-by-side and then laid my map on top. I determined how big I needed the shades to be for the map and then simply cut off the excess. The map fit perfectly width-wise across the two shades and then I trimmed them up just past the third panel for the length. I also went ahead and removed the pull strings from the shades at this point.


Step 3: Next I sewed my two Roman shades together. My sewing machine is currently out-of-order, so I just grabbed a needle and thread and quickly sewed them together down the middle by hand. It really didn't take too long. If you are using canvas material, you will simply need to cut your fabric to size at this point and hem the edges. The great thing about the Roman shades is that they are already ready to hang. For canvas fabric, you will probably have to sew a pocket at the top to run a curtain rod through and then hang it from the rod. Pretty simple as well and it would also look great.


Step 4: Hot glue the map onto the shades or canvas! It took me awhile to decide how I wanted to adhere the paper map to the fabric, but I have worked with paper and fabric before and have found that hot glue works as well as anything. I laid my map out across the shades and then simply ran a bead around the edges under the map and pressed the paper to the shade as I went along. It worked great!


I then hung my map up and I was all done! I decided to wait a little while before posting this tutorial to make sure it all stayed together and was pretty durable. I am happy to report that this method for creating a canvas map has been fantastic! The hot glue has stayed and the map looks perfect! For a one dollar map plus some old Roman shades I had lying around, I am pretty darn happy with this hanging map.


If you give this tutorial a try, show me your results! I would love to see your hanging maps in your homes. :) Here's mine next to my paino.


Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Creative Collection // Fluster Buster // Creativity Unleashed //

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At February 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Becky M said...

This is an awesome DIY! I never would have known that it didn't come that way! Such a one of a kind piece!

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

 
At February 13, 2015 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Havalah Turner said...

I love map projects! pinning.

 
At February 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous healthy house design said...

Kitchen Breakfast Bar Stools Excellent post.loved that vanity too.This is an excellent site for this information.keep it up!

 
At February 18, 2015 at 6:24 AM , Blogger Cindy Trobaugh said...

Thanks for the share...Have been wanting to do the same thing with the one I have and now I know and can!! Kudo's Ladies! Smiles.Cindy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home