Thursday, February 5, 2015

10 Tools for a Healthier Lifestyle

Posted by Tara


It's a New Year with a new start at being healthy and eating right. Every year I try hard to eat right and workout. I do well but it never fails around the holidays I tank! Today I am sharing 10 tools that help keep you on track and create a healthier lifestyle! Let's get started.

1. Must have Fitness Apps 



I have two favorites that I always have on my phone: My Fitness Pal and Endomondo. Find an app that fits your personal fitness needs. I really liked My Fitness Pal right after I had my babies. It helps keep me on track with my eating habits and workouts.

Another one I have grown to love is Endomondo. I track all of my running workouts and enjoy being able to set goals on this app.

2. Meal Plan


I know for me, if I have prepared my healthy lunches and snacks ahead of time, I am more likely to stay on track. I choose Sunday afternoons to grill and bake all my meals for the following week. Eating healthy is a huge part of getting fit. Check out my Clean Eating post for meal ideas!
3. Set Goals


Whether your goals are losing a certain amount of weight or being able to lift a certain amount of weight, you are more likely to continue if you have challenged yourself by setting a goal. Start little and work your way up. Goals are a great way to get motivated. This year my goal is to get stronger. Last year I did ok, but this year I would like to get stronger in certain workouts.

4. Chart it/ Record it



This goes right along with #3. After setting your goals, right them down and record your progress. Even if you have to do it every day, chart it. Writing it down helps you see how you are improving and provides confidence. Here is a post on sticking to goals that comes with an awesome printable to record all of your activity!

5. Workout 2-3 times per week




Have no equipment at home? No excuses! There are so many ways to work out at home with little to NO equipment. Pinterest is filled with workouts as is all of the internet. Find a fitness blogger who can help inspire you to workout! Alexa Jean Brown is a great example. Not only does she post workouts, but what to eat afterwards and the Do's and Don't's to Clean Eating.

6. Water Consumption


Water is huge for me. I am terrible at consuming lots of water. When I was eating unhealthy over the holidays I was laying in bed one night and had realized I never drank any water that day. I was filling my thirst with junk food. Now I drink close to 80 ounces a day. If you google it, you will find that you should drink half your body weight in water a day. Drinking more water a day will help cravings and make you healthier all around. Eliminate those sodas and energy drinks! Drink water.

7. Workout Playlist



I don't know about you, but nothing gets me pumped up and ready to workout like some new tunes! These are just a few from my playlist that I listen to while working out. Download some to your phone or iPod for some encouragement during a workout. I'm always seeing pins on Pinterest for workout playlists. I am particular with my music, so I download my own. Find what music pumps you up and listen to it!

8. Sleep


Get sufficient sleep. Nothing is harder than trying to workout and do your daily routine when you are exhausted. Go to bed early and rise a little earlier than usual. Make sure you have enough time in your day for a workout.

9. Meditation


I call this "Quiet Time". Find something that calms you. Whether it's yoga, reading or journaling, take that time during the day to refocus and gather your thoughts and energy. If you don't do any of these, pick one and try it for a couple of days. You may find it very therapeutic.

10. Your Friends


Find friends with similar fitness goals. You are more likely to workout and be driven to stick with it if your friends are doing it with you. I know everyone has friends already, but if yours aren't interested in a new healthy lifestyle go out and make some NEW ones that are. It's always good to have someone encourage and push you along the way!

I know that if you truly want to live healthier and be more fit, these tools are a big step in that direction. Give it a try and achieve your goal of being healthier this year! Good luck!

Linking up with: Practically Functional

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home