Monday, January 19, 2015

Wood Slice Chalkboard Tutorial

Posted by Devin


If you follow my personal Instagram or Facebook accounts, you know all about my current obsession with wood slices. I can't seem to get enough of them! I have seen wood slice chalkboards at craft shows and wanted to make my own for a really long time. So last month I finally ran to the craft store to buy a wood slice and did it! This project is super simple and pretty self-explanatory, but for any beginner crafters I am giving you the step-by-step today. Here's what you'll need:


Supplies:
Wood Slice (available at craft supply stores)
Twine
Drill
Chalkboard Paint
Sponge Brush
Paintbrush (a good one that can make a sharp edge)

First you need to paint your wood slice with the chalkboard paint. I used my fine-edged paint brush to line the edges of the painted area. The wood slice has rings (as all trees do) and I simply picked a ring to follow as I painted around the edge. I left two rings between the outer bark and my painted area. Once the edge was outlined, I used the sponge brush to make a nice even coat of paint on the inside. I painted three coats to make sure it was solid looking and not too thin. After all, it is going to be a chalkboard!


Once the paint is dry, simply drill two holes in the top of the wood slice and string twine through the holes for hanging. Twine compliments the already rustic look of the chalkboard perfectly. I attached a small piece of burlap and a little greenery and my sign was ready to go! I love the cute little detail it adds to my entryway.


Thanks for stopping by!

Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Fluster Buster // Practically Functional // Tidy Mom // Creative Collection // Pink When //

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At January 19, 2015 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Becky M said...

Oh how easy is this!! Love the look of this and it could be changed depending on the season!

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

 
At January 20, 2015 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Stephanie Watkins said...

Love it. I will definitely need to add this on my "need to make" list. Thanks for sharing

 
At January 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Emily said...

Every time I go to Michaels I end up in the wood aisle and I see these amazing wood slices. I've never had a clue what I would use one for but now I have an excuse to go buy one. Thanks so much for sharing, I love this wood slice chalkboard! I've added your tutorial to my Five on Friday post. Have an amazing weekend.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home