Friday, October 31, 2014

Affordable Thanksgiving Decor

Posted by Tara

So excited to share my latest creation with you today! With the holidays approaching I feel like my budget is getting tighter and tighter, but I also want my house to look festive for the holidays. As I searched Pinterest, I saw lots of burlap for Thanksgiving decor. I came across this idea and thought I could do it with just a few supplies and what I already had available at home. 


I headed to Walmart a picked up a burlap canvas. It was $4. I wasn't sure how well a painters pen was going to write on it, but I picked up some to use for the lettering. Everything else I had in my junk drawers at home.
I first taped off where I wanted to write. If you have painters tape, that would work really well, all I had was some scotch tape and it did just fine. I then wrote out a list of LOTS of things I am thankful for. It can be anything.. you'll see I have from ice cream to flowers. I practiced how I wanted to write in cursive on a scratch piece of paper. Then I measured about 1/2" down from the top and tried spacing words out where they weren't all symmetrical. I also ended up using the sharpie. The painters pen was catching all the fibers on the fabric and wasn't writing very well. Use whats easiest for you. 


After I wrote all the things I was thankful for, pick a quote for the top over lay. I chose Give Thanks. If you have a cricket or silhouette this is where it would come it handy to print out a stencil. I used Word to find a easy font to cut out and used a exacto-knife to do it. It was tedious and time consuming, but it needed to happen! So if you have either of those machines, I envy you. I didn't show a picture of me stenciling, partly because my way was pretty hard to do and snap pictures of, but I am sure you get how to stencil. You can also go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and buy a stencil for lettering. Be sure to tape your stencil down if its not vinyl to hold it in place. 

Here is my finished product. I love how this came out! It was very inexpensive and added a touch of "Thankfulness" to my home. I enjoy looking at it and seeing/remembering all the things I am thankful for! Thank you so much for stopping by!

Linking up with: Just us Four, Practically Functional, Linky Party Palooza, Flusters Buster

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At October 31, 2014 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Becky M said...

Anything burlap is right up my alley!! Love this and you're right, so affordable!

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home