Thursday, September 4, 2014

Rustic Candy Corn String Art

Posted by Tara




As Halloween approaches, I have been trying to come up with a fun, cute decor idea. As I scoured Pinterest I couldn't find what I was looking for. But then I came up with the idea of doing a candy corn string art on some of my pallet wood! If you don't have pallet wood, you can just use a piece of thick plywood or any piece of wood you have. If you do have a pallet lying around in your backyard, here is a tutorial on how to make a small board like mine.

Here is what you'll need:
Smal Nails with a head
Hammer
Embroidery String in White, Yellow, Orange
Paint (if wanting a black wood background)
Candy Corn Print-Out
Wood


First paint your wood. Make sure it is dry before laying the paper on top. I only gave mine one coat because I wanted it to be easy to sand and it also gave it that rustic, unfinished look. Center your candy corn on your wood. Click here to get the printable candy corn outline.

Start at the top and hammer in the nails along the candy corn outline. I spaced mine about 1/2" apart. Since I did it on pallet wood, it was a little more difficult with all of the cracks in the wood, but it still worked. Make sure all of your nails are secure before moving on to the next steps.






















After your nails are secure, rip your paper from your board. There isn't a particular way to do this, just make sure all of the paper is removed before starting the stringing.


You will get your string and first tie a knot around any nail. Trim any hanging strands from the knot. 

I started with the orange, but you can also start at the top and work your way down. There is no real tips about wrapping your string from nail to nail except to make sure you keep pushing your string down on the nail shaft. You keep it pushed down so you can add lots of string. Also, you can line the outside of the candy corn if you would like with the string. It's not necessary though. 

If you get all of your nails in straight, then more power to ya! I'm terrible at doing anything straight, as you can tell by my nails in the picture above. But really, it turns out looking cute no matter what! 

When you are done with one color, tie a knot in the string again like you do in the beginning and trim any strands. Then take your next color and follow the same process for the next section!

If you have another spooky design you want to try, all you need is an outline of your choice to print out and you can follow my instructions to do the rest! I hope this tutorial helped you create a fun and unique Halloween decoration for your home. Gather a group of friends (it's really fun to do in groups with some snacks and plenty of conversation) and get started on some holiday decor!

Linking up with: Practically Functional // Just Us Four //  Link Party Palooza // Creative Collection

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At September 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM , Blogger Cindy Eikenberg, Little Miss Celebration said...

Hi ladies! I love all things candy corn and this is adorable. Visiting from i heart naptime and pinning. Have a happy weekend!

 
At September 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Gretchen said...

Love this! My eight year old walked by when I was looking at it, and he's also a fan: "that's cool." :) Pinning!

 
At September 6, 2014 at 9:56 PM , Blogger T'onna Peters said...

I love this! I'm pinning it to my candy corn board!!!

Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party!

 
At September 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Tyler said...

This is so cute! This makes me want some candy corn, ha :)

 
At September 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Erlene A said...

This is such a cute idea. I love the black background and the different colors threads. Pinned. Would love if you came and shared this on the Merry Monday link party.

 
At September 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM , Blogger The Bold Abode said...

Hi Tara! I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE your Candy Corn String Art, and I'm featuring you as one of my Rockstars this week from Creativity Unleashed!

As a Rockstar you're in the running for this week's MEGA Rockstar! Grab your friends and come vote at http://www.theboldabode.com/2014/09/letters-rockstars-creativity-unleashed-week-36.html

The MEGA Rockstar gets loads of love including:

1. Shout outs on all my social media houses.
2. A bucket full of Pins to my biggest group boards
3. A big sidebar ad proclaiming them the MEGA Rockstar of the week
4. And a feature in my weekly newsletter!

Congratulations and Good Luck!!!

 
At September 11, 2014 at 6:13 PM , Anonymous Lisa | A Merry Mom said...

What a great idea! This is such a fun way to decorate for fall! Pinning.

 
At September 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Angela Muir said...

This is SO fun! i love it, thanks for linking up to DIY inspired. I'll be featuring you tomorrow night so stop by - handmadeintheheartland.com

 
At September 30, 2014 at 10:17 PM , Blogger bethany dearden said...

Very cute, I love it! I am one of those crazies who also loves to EAT candy corn!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home