Friday, July 18, 2014

DIY Family Command Center

Posted by Devin

For the last 8 years, our family command center had consisted of a large bulletin board covered in Christmas cards next to a white board of the same size that was usually covered in various magnets. It was not super functional the way I was using it and I was getting tired of the cluttered feeling it brought to my kitchen. It was time for a change. After quite a long time of collecting items here and there, this is what I came up with!

I love the functionality and the fun gallery wall feeling to my new command center. This is so much nicer to look at day in and day out verses the crazy jumble of items I had on my wall before. And when you're a stay at home mom who spends a lot of time in the kitchen, you want something to look at that's pretty and makes you feel happy inside. Here is the breakdown of each of the items on my wall!


Cabinet Door Chalkboard - If you are wanting an easy way to add a chalkboard to your home, this works great! I will be posting a simple tutorial for how to make your own in a few weeks! (It's pretty self explanatory, but thought I'd share anyways.) I am really excited about the chalkboard and plan on using it to write out our family's weekly schedule for everyone to see. When I took pictures our plan for the week was a cabin trip! Wish every week was like that. ;)


Rustic Magnet Board - I will be including the tutorial for this cute little magnet board on the cabinet chalkboard post in a few weeks. Again, it's pretty simple, but maybe something you wouldn't normally think to do. I am loving the rough old metal I used for this board, it gives it such a fun look! 

Pie Tin Photo Frame - Another fun project that I will also be posting a tutorial for. You guys are going to have to stay tuned for all of the deets on this stuff! Super happy with how this little project turned out. I really wanted to add a picture to my command center and I think this hit the nail on the head for what I was going for: something a little nontraditional and quirky. Love it!


Feather Art - Ok, no tutorial for this one. I know you're so disappointed, lol! This little piece is inspired by the beautiful work of the very talented Angie at Yellow Bungalow Shop. Her watercolor prints are AMAZING. So lovely and inspiring, you must check out her shop! I have always loved her "live brave" prints with feathers and decided to make my own with real feathers that Connor has been collecting from our chickens. It's not as pretty as Angie's work, but I love that it adds a personal touch to our wall.

String Art - I made this cute little arrow sign at a craft night put on by Chrissy of Let Me See You Sparkle. I loved it from the minute I brought it home, but never knew where to display it until the wall started coming together. I think it works great here!

The other three items on my wall are pretty self explanatory. The small organizer where I store all of my paper clips and box tops and rubber bands comes from Bed Bath & Beyond. It's super handy and I love having it in such a convenient spot. The "G" is from Hobby Lobby. We all love Hobby Lobby, right? If you are ever looking for a monogram letter for your home decor, Hobby Lobby is a fantastic place to start. And the adorable little clock and chicken wire wall file are from Pick Your Plum. If you are not familiar with Pick Your Plum you are missing out! I LOVE their daily deals they send to my email. They always have the cutest stuff and I can't help but make a purchase every now and then. Actually, Pick Your Plum is a bit dangerous really. The stuff is so stinkin' cute and the prices are so good that everything is hard to pass up! You have been warned.

I hope you like my new command center! I know I am really happy with the change. We gotta mix things up once in awhile, right? Don't forget to come back for my Cabinet Chalkboard and Magnet Board tutorials as well as the how-to on the Pie Tin Photo Frame! Thanks for visiting, everyone!

Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Practically Functional // Just Us Four // Pink When // Fluster Buster // Creative Collection //

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At July 18, 2014 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Christine Vandormolen said...

super super awesome. Pinning for sure! Christine from Little Brags

 
At July 18, 2014 at 9:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have inspired me to make a command center in our new home. I love your post! I just found your site and check it daily. I too have chickens and plan on collecting loose feathers. What a cute idea! -Katherine Atlanta, Ga

 
At July 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Shonee Smith said...

Love your command center! I will be featuring it on my favorite things friday over at hawthorneandmain.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home