Friday, July 11, 2014

10 Fashion No No's

Posted by Tara


Here on Salt and Pepper Moms we have enjoyed showing you what we like to wear and hopefully have provided a little fashion inspiration along the way. Today I want to get real and talk about the No No's of Fashion. What NOT to do. Because there are some things you should just never wear out in public.

As I began making my list, I know this is terrible, but I couldn't stop laughing. Let's be honest... some of the following pictures or suggestions are funny! So let's get started!

1. I figured I would start here since it's summer. If you wear daisy dukes, PLEASE do not wear Ugg boots with them. It does not look good and does not go together AT all. You need to pick a season, don't combine them.


2. This next one is probably one that I see the most often. PLEASE PLEASE always wear a bra. I promise it does not look good to go bra less under your tight t-shirts (or anything else). Whether you have had a boob job or your boobs hang to your knees, you NEED a bra! They were invented for a purpose and we should use them for that purpose... which is for the support!  No one wants to see you high beaming it and it does NOT look attractive at all!


3. This one is probably just as common as the No Bra one. Leggings were made to be cute under dresses, long tees, or tunics. They were NOT made to wear with a short shirt or crop top. Even if you have a rockin' body, it still doesn't look cute to sport leggings with a short shirt. If your top does not cover your bum, then don't wear it!

4.  I love high heels. I love wearing them when I go out or head to church. There is definitely a right time and wrong time to wear high heels. The other day I saw an older lady wearing gold heels at a public swimming pool. Swim suits do NOT need heels and it looked terrible. Heels were not made for leggings either. Leggings look great with a wedge but not a heel. Picking the right shoes for an outfit is crucial sometimes. You can not make a sweat pants outfit look fancier with heels... just don't even try!


5. I remember this one being an issue when I was younger and it hasn't gone away! I wonder when people will get the hint that this will never look good no matter what year it is. Socks do NOT look good in sandals. I know recently in fashion women started wearing a type of sock with their heels, but with sandals it does not go. Sandals were created to wear in the summer with no socks. If you or your husband decide to slip your sandals on over your socks (cause we know they would attempt this before us) do not let them leave the house... please. 

6. Here is one that might go unnoticed. You look at this photo and think all of the pieces she has on are cute, so what is the problem? If you wear any type of sweater, you do NOT tuck it in. Sweaters look good loose over jeans or pants and certain skirts, but not tucked in to any of those. Who wants all that extra bulge around their mid-section? It's never a good idea.


7. Fall will be here before we know it. What do we see a lot of during the cooler months? Boots. I love boots and usually can't wait for the weather to change so I can start wearing them. BUT there are some boots you shouldn't sport.... ever.  When buying your first pair of boots, make sure they are functional. It shouldn't take 45 minutes to get your boots on. Tie up boots that go to your thigh are not cute or sexy. I don't even really know why someone even invented these to wear. Masochists.


8. Skinny jeans have been the "IN" style the last couple of years, but recently more and more women are wearing some wider legs jeans. That's fine in moderation. You don't want to wear such large bell bottom jeans that you look like you could catch some wind like a kite. This picture shows us wide legged pants to an EXTREME. She is definitely going for the hippie pants and tunic look and if she had mixed these two piece with more tailored items, maybe it would have looked cute? But if everything on your body is big and over-sized it makes you look larger than you actually are and pretty sloppy to boot. Do yourself a favor and don't do this. 


9.  Denim. Denim is a staple in most of my outfits. Some people can go a little over kill on it, though. You walk a thin line when you try to sport denim from head to toe. For example, here is an all denim jumper. I think jumpers are super cute when worn correctly and with the right fabric. But a denim jumper with boots does not look good. It's possible that if it was a little more fitted it could have worked, but since it is so baggy she really killed any possibility. I also feel that if it was a darker wash of denim maybe.... maybe. But this outfit is all wrong and the weird hat makes it worse.


10.  A few years ago gaucho pants were a hit... maybe only with some people. I remember wearing them throughout one of my pregnancies because I didn't care if it looked good, they stretched and were comfortable. Press Release: they are NO longer in style and do not look good. They are worse if they have a bright print on them. I am even short and I wore them (I'm confessing, please forgive me). If you own a pair, wear them for pajamas because they shouldn't be worn in public.


I hope I wasn't too blunt for all of you, but sometimes you just have to lay it all out there! I'm still laughing as I finish this post because.. well... it's really the socks and sandals that send me into the giggles. Lol! Thanks for stopping by and please share this with friends who you know might benefit from these tips! Please. ;)

Linking up: Link Party Palooza //  Practically Functional // Manic Monday // Mix It Monday // Join the Gossip

Labels:

14 Comments:

At July 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Lolly Jane said...

Haha! This list is hilarious! Aaaaand I love leggings but gah, I wish people would wear them the way you said! Eek!

 
At July 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Cindy Jenkins said...

My husband won't stop wearing socks with sandals, no matter how much cajoling we dish out. Haha.

 
At July 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM , Blogger Suzanne Bruce said...

I so agree with you on the bra!!! That Lindsey Lohan show on OWN... she NEVER wore a bra!!! It bothered me so much...

 
At July 11, 2014 at 11:38 PM , Blogger Isabelle Thornton said...

That's cool. I let an something about heels and leggings. I enjoyed this post.
Isabelle

 
At July 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM , Anonymous Crystelle said...

haha! Some of these photo's you have come up with a true flops! :)
xo, Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique

 
At July 14, 2014 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Julie said...

YES! I agree with every single one of these! haha! I don't understand why people are still trying the socks with flip flops thing....pretty sure that was always a don't. I must admit that in my college days I owned a pair of gouchos...they were so comfy but NEVER flattering. lol

 
At July 14, 2014 at 1:58 PM , Blogger Grungy Galz said...

Love it!! Is it bad that I wear two on your list still?! I promise it's not the bra or underwear ones ;0)

 
At July 16, 2014 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

I'm glad gauchos went out of style before I grew up! :P

 
At July 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Vicki Schubert said...

I just saw a pair of gauchos in the latest Anthropologies catalog..

 
At July 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Vicki Schubert said...

I just saw a pair of gauchos in the latest Anthropologie catalog..

 
At July 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Robin Hardeman said...

Great list, looking forward to 10 Do's! I hate socks and flip flops too!
http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

 
At July 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Doused In Pink said...

I loved reading this post! What a great list of no no's!

Jill
dousedinpink.blogspot.com

 
At July 16, 2014 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Claire said...

Hahaha, such a fun post! ;)

God bless,
XO, Claire
Http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

 
At September 17, 2014 at 7:20 AM , Anonymous Carl Balasa said...

OK I agree with all of this now lets do one on MEN and Boys. I for one get tired of seeing guys wearing checkered pants and striped shirts together, or pants hanging below their butts (ASS)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home