Monday, March 24, 2014

Dollar Store Easter Decor

Posted by Devin
 

The other day our family was exploring outside and look what we found in one of our trees: this beautiful little bird's nest with the prettiest speckled eggs inside of it! It totally inspired me to get a jump on my spring and Easter decor and bring some of the outside beauty inside our home!
 
I knew I wanted to make something with speckled eggs, but I wasn't sure exactly what and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I headed to the dollar store to see what treasures they currently had on the shelves! I fell in love with the Dollar Tree's little glass hurricane candleholders, found some faux moss in the crafting aisle, spotted the little decorative birds, and I knew what I wanted to make! Here's what you'll need to make your own Easter Nest Hurricane Glasses with the White Bird Statues:
 
Materials:
Glass Hurricane Candleholders - Dollar Tree ($1)
Tapered Glass Candleholders - Dollar Tree ($1)
Moss - Dollar Tree ($1)
Polyresin Decorative Birds - Dollar Tree ($1)
Spray Paint - Hobby Lobby ($5.99 but then used a 40% off coupon so spent $3.59)
Decorative Speckled Eggs - Hobby Lobby ($5.99 but then on sale for 30% off so spent $4.19)
Gorilla Glue - What I had on hand. Use any adhesive that works on glass.
For two Easter Nest Hurrican Glasses and two White Bird Statues, I spent about $12 total. Plus I still have moss, eggs, and plenty of spray paint left over!

I thought it was going to be tricky finding the speckled eggs, but I was really excited to find these at Hobby Lobby! They were just what I was looking for and the price was right!


Now for the How-To.

Step 1: Remove the stickers from the glass pieces and give them a quick wash.


Step 2. Glue the candleholder to the hurricane glass. I used a bit too much glue and had to pull it apart to remove some of the excess and then re-set it on. It wasn't a big deal because I did it quickly, before the glue had dried at all, but try not to use too much glue. A thin bead around the ring will cut it.


I looked from the top through the glass to make sure I had everything centered.
 
Then I set some books on top for an hour or so to "clamp" it, cause I'm fancy like that. ;)
 
Step 3: Spray paint the birds. I used Krylon Color Master in Dover White with a gloss finish.
 

Make sure to apply the spray paint in lots of thin, even coats. You only have to wait 1 minute in between coats, so it's not so bad. I applied 4 coats to my birds to get the coverage I was wanting.
 
Here's what they looked like when I was done.
 
Step 4: Put some moss in the bottoms of the hurricane glasses and then put the eggs on top.
 
And that's it! Once the birds are dry you are ready to decorate for spring! Didn't the birds turn out so cute?
 

 

6 comments:

Kelly A Gifford said...

Simple and adorable.

Denise K said...

Love it! I need to get to the Dollar Store.

Pink Coffee Photo said...

Looks great! Never would've guessed this is dollar store stuff. :)

Desaree Martin said...

Ahh I love these! I think I need to head over to the Dollar Store.

Keitha M said...

Love this! Great job!

Karin Brosnan said...

Who knew you could make dollar store items so beautiful! I would love to have you join me for my Centerpiece
Wednesday linky party and share this post with us. Come on over http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2014/04/centerpiece-wednesday-cool-blues-with.html

Karin