Monday, March 10, 2014

DIY Hometown Map Pendant Necklace

Posted by Devin
 
 
I love maps. When I was 12, my parents took my brother and sister and I on a road trip to Yellowstone National Park. Coming from Arizona, that made for a pretty decent road trip. When we piled into the car to head out, my Dad handed me the map and said "Well Devin, get us there!" Each morning he would tell me where we were hoping to be by the end of the day and I would tell him which roads to take, where to turn, how far until the next town, etc, etc. I'm sure he had a fairly good idea of where we were going anyways, but as far as I was concerned, I had single-handedly guided us through 7 large and unfamiliar states. And I loved every second looking at that map.
 
Unsurprisingly, I still love maps. So when I saw a picture on Instagram of a bunch of little map pendant necklaces, I knew I had to make one for myself! I headed out to our local craft stores in search of the supplies I needed. I ended up going to Michael's, JoAnn's, AND Hobby Lobby before I finally found what I was looking for.
 
At first I thought I would make my necklace like my good friend Cindy did with her Bottle Cap Necklaces on her blog, which are super cute, but I decided it wasn't exactly the style I was going for. Then I though I'd use a blank bezel setting and resin to make my pendant, but I wasn't sure how it would turn out since I haven't worked with resin before. So I searched the jewelry section more thoroughly (well, 3 jewelry sections more thoroughly) to see what they had available and finally found a piece I thought would be just right!
 
I purchased the frame pendants and a matching chain at Hobby Lobby for less than $4. I used a coupon for the chain and the pendants were 30% off. Then I found an old Arizona road map at home and I was ready to go! If you don't have a map of the area you are wanting, try googling it. You could always download and print something, and finding a vintage map would be cool!
 
The pendants I picked out have a small silver frame with a clasp that comes apart at the top and two pieces of glass for each frame so you can put whatever picture or graphic you like in them. They were super easy to assmeble.
 
The first thing I did was take one of the pieces of glass and trace it on my map where I wanted to cut it out. I decided to make my pendant with a map of my hometown area. 
 
Next I simply cut out my circle slightly smaller than where I traced so it would fit in the frame. I had to trim it down a few times to get it to fit just right.
 
Once the map piece was cut out, all I had to do was put it between the two pieces of glass and insert everything into the frame!
 
Since this particular pendant is two-sided, I decided to put another piece of my map on the back. Nothing like keeping your hometown and state close to your heart all the time!  
 
 
 

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

At March 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Kaci Uipi said...

thanks for sharing, I always wanted to know how to put a picture in a pendant necklace

 
At March 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Carylee said...

This is adorable! I love this idea, and it's completely pin-worthy for me! thanks for sharing!
Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

 
At March 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Amy Ellis said...

Super cute idea, especially with the hometown theme. This would make a really nice gift, too!

 
At March 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM , Blogger Roberta Blevins said...

Hey! I love this! I'm featuring you over at my blog Sunday morning for my "Best of the Internet" series! Check it out at http://mommylikewhoa.com :)

 
At March 16, 2014 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Carmody Tisdale said...

Really Pretty! I love this idea.

 
At March 16, 2014 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Mavis said...

Really pretty and a great idea!

 
At March 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM , Anonymous Susan Barker said...

I have a friend who is not at all crafty wanting to make "something' that reminds her of her own home town. Thanks for your idea and instruction! She will get her wish on her next birthday - in June...

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

You're very welcome, Kaci!

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Carylee!

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you Amy! I think it would make a nice gift too. :)

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Awesome! Thanks Roberta!

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you Carmody!

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Mavis! So glad you stopped by!

 
At March 18, 2014 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Perfect! So glad to share this idea!

 
At April 2, 2014 at 4:57 AM , Blogger Jhon Smith said...

Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting.I will be waiting for your next post.Thank you so much for giving us such kind of handy content which will be most useful to me as well.... I will follow your blog always. Thanks!

Diamond Rings


 
At February 6, 2015 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Ricky Rowe said...

What a creative idea! Usually, people only put the picture of their love ones in the pendant of their necklace. But then again, you can consider your home as something you love, so I don't see why you can't put it in a pendant, yes? I think the map just revealed your artistic mind. What you did is really amazing. Thanks for sharing that! All the best to you!

Ricky Rowe @ Find A Jewelry Expert

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home