Saturday, February 1, 2014

Valentine Strawberry Lemonade

Posted by Tara and Devin

You staying home Valentine's night? Sometimes with kids and babysitting, it's hard to get away on these holidays. I always feel bad asking the grandparents to watch the kids on Valentine's because I am sure they would like to be out celebrating as well. We usually try to plan our evening out a week before or after. This lemonade will be something fun you can do the day of!

You could even do this for the kids' parties at school if you are helping. My kids love when they get fun straws, heck, I DO! Devin created these adorable printables to slide on your straws. They rock! To get the straw tags click here or on the image below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSnruYDpCTLcGRjZzl4aG1CVnM/edit?usp=sharing

First I started with a good lemonade recipe. Devin has a lemon tree that she and her family planted a few years ago and they are super excited that it has started to produce great fruit this year! Here is their basic, delicious recipe for fresh-squeezed lemonade.

Fresh Squeezed Lemonade (triple this recipe to make a gallon)
3 cups water
1 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar 

I bought a carton of strawberries (which its almost in season, so the prices are starting to drop) and cut the tops off and sliced them in half. I put the strawberries and a 1/4 cup of sugar in a blender with a few drops of water and pulsed until it was chunky and a little runny. 


Then I poured the strawberries into these trays that were given to me. They are from IKEA and are great for jello, ice, Kool-Aid and just about anything you want to freeze. I'm sure if you looked at Target right now, or even Walmart, you could find something similar. I let these freeze over night, but if you did this in the morning you could pull them out that night and they would work great. When they are ready to put in your drinks, set them in hot water to help loosen them up, then they will slide out easily. 

As the hearts melt, they start to infuse the lemonade and it tastes delicious. I tried some grape cranberry juice, but they didn't hold up as well as I would have liked and melted extremely fast. The strawberries held up great and looked darling floating in the glasses. 


We snapped a picture of Neela enjoying this simple treat! How cute is she?!


Linking up with: Craft O Maniac, Sumo Sweet Stuff, Tatertots and Jello, Pink When,  Get Your DIY On, Pinky Linky Party, Fluster Buster, Just Us Four, Stylelixir, Tidy Mom, Show & Tell Wednesday

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At February 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM , Blogger The Southern Thing said...

This drinks are so cute, especially in the mason jars! Perfect for hosting a Valentine's get together!

 
At February 5, 2014 at 10:50 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

ooooo what a neat idea.

 
At February 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Tori Mistick said...

Thanks for joining the Friday's Fab Favorites link up, I was a co-host last week and I'm trying to read every post! This is such a cute idea - I love using fun shaped ice cube molds, the red hearts look great!

http://wearwagrepeat.com

 
At February 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Oh my gosh, this sounds amazing, and I love the little heart ice cubes! Pinning, and I featured this today on my blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home