Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sticking to My Fitness Goals

Posted by Devin


This year I made some New Year's resolutions, did you? New Year's resolutions are something I usually don't participate in, I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm too busy to think about it with all of the Christmas craziness or maybe I've already been trying to meet specific personal goals or maybe I'm pretty happy with the way things are going. OR... maybe it's because I think I'll flake out after a week or two. After all, resolutions are super easy to make, but much more difficult to stick with.
 
One of my goals for 2014 is to get back on track with regular workouts. There are so many excuses to skip exercising. "I'm too busy." "I need to focus on other things." "I look and feel good enough already." (Hahaha about that last one, right?!! Do any of us look and feel amazing when we're not being physically active? DO NOT answer that, you 20-and-unders out there...) But I am so happy when I kick the excuses to the curb and make physical fitness a priority in my life.
 
 
So what keeps me motivated to get out of bed at 5am and lace up my tennies instead of hitting the snooze button? Well, there are a few things. To be quite honest, the first is probably the scale. I hate talking about weight and suggesting that it's a priority. I don't want other women, and especially not young women and girls, to think that you have to be light as a feather to be fit and look and feel good. That's not the case at all. But I know where my healthy weight falls and I know when I am above it. Weight is really just a good gage for me to see how I am doing with diet and exercise. When I am within my healthy range, I feel so much better than when I am not. And so, that darn scale ends up being a great motivating factor towards daily exercise.
 
Another thing that helps me to stick with my fitness goals is seeing my progress. If I didn't keep track of my times on my runs, I really don't think that I would notice I was getting faster. And if I didn't think I was improving, I would probably get bored and lose the desire to keep going. I need some sort of competitive edge and my favorite way to compete is against myself. Seeing my times getting better and better makes me so excited to get back out there and see what I can do next time!  
 
In my post on My 10 Tips for New Runners I discussed keeping a running log. Because the scale and keeping track of my progress are my two biggest morale boosters lately, I thought I would share a free printable workout log that let's you record both. I use a log a lot like this to record all of my workouts, whether it's running, cycling, yoga, crossfit, whatever! I write everything down on this log and I can see what I've accomplished at the end of the month. If you need a little extra motivation to stick to your fitness goals this year, give this workout log a shot! You can print it by clicking here or on the image below.
 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSnruYDpCTLLXVmZ0xwZS1adG8/edit?usp=sharing
 
I know it's only the middle of February and I have the rest of the year ahead of me to stick to my goals, but I am confident that I will. I've had years "on the wagon" and years "off the wagon" (so to speak) and I know when I am on a good track. Keeping a log like this is a big part of getting me on that good track. I hope that you all have much success with your fitness goals this year! Come back and let me know if this helped you out!

Linking Up With: Tidy Mom, Just Us Four, Practically Functional, Tatertots & Jello

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At February 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Brandi Barrera said...

Go on with your little bad self! Congrats girl :-) PS, only you could look that cute when working out!

 
At February 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Lol! Aww thanks Brandi! xoxo

 
At February 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous Blair @ The Seasoned Mom said...

Love this. Thanks so much for sharing. I just printed mine out! Pinned!

 
At February 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you Blair!

 
At September 16, 2014 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Steve Leclair said...

That's a great idea! Keeping track of your progress will help you keep going. Like any other journey, there will come a time that you'll think you’ve done enough, or just want to give up because you feel like you’re going nowhere. But seeing how far you’ve come will convince you otherwise, and that this journey is worth the wait. Good luck!

Steve Leclair @ Orangetheory Fitness

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home