Sunday, January 5, 2014

Pantry Organization

Posted by Tara

I have a pantry dilemma. It's always a mess and totally chaotic. I can never find what I am looking for and there is way too much stuff in there. I'm super embarrassed to even show you the following photos. Please don't judge me too harshly! This is what my pantry has looked like since we moved into this house. In our old house it pretty much looked like this as well. I could never find a good system for my pantry and now I was determined to get it in order. 

Cover your eyes!!! AHHH...


I was getting to the point where I was frustrated just looking at it. I decided I needed a change and started looking up pantry organization and makeovers. I came across The House of Smiths and their pantry. They did an amazing job and I highly recommend you taking a look at everything they fixed in their pantry. They shared lots of great tips! 


They had chosen a nice grey but since my pantry doesn't get great lighting (hence the terrible photos) I decided to pick a bright cheery color. I chose Valspar Frosty (bottom middle one). I am in love with this color and was pretty stoked to paint the inside of my pantry. 


I first started by painting the shelves a good coat of white. Then I taped off the shelves and began painting the walls. I was really surprised how quickly I painted this all together. Since it is a small space, cutting in the trim and ceiling went really quickly as well. 


After all the paint dried I got with my vinyl girl Beth (http://www.redleafcrafts.blogspot.com/) and got some vinyl ordered. I picked white quatrefoil print and she was able to make some just like the one I showed her. It was actually easier than I thought applying it to the wall. The only hard part was trying to line up the pattern on the top wall. 


As I began putting everything back into my pantry, I really wanted baskets with labels and clear containers. I searched for months for the right baskets. I really wanted a clean and simple look. I found my baskets at Fry's for $11.99. I WAITED to see if they would get marked down and they never did. :( So I bought one every month or so until I had the amount that would be best for my pantry. On the House of Smiths post she organized her food into sections. All my glass jars I put on the same shelf. Cereals I thought about putting in clear containers, but couldn't find any that I loved. Maybe one day I will add them, but for now I'm okay with them laying together. I have baskets for my jello boxes and baking ingredients and extra stuff like popcorn and onion mix. They just needed a place to go. Why not all together in a basket?


When I thought of what I wanted for labels I thought about scouring the craft stores, but then I remember Devin's printables for our DIY Wall Files. I wanted her to make me some just like those but in black instead of white. They came out so cute! I printed them on 8x10 shipping labels and cut them out and stuck them on the clear containers and glass. The labels on the baskets I stuck to card stock then cut them out and tied with jute onto the basket. If you want some printables for your pantry make sure to click on the images below for them. Devin made some blank ones as well so you can customize them with a white marker or chalk how you please.



The nice part is if I want to put different labels on my container, I can just print some new ones out. 


My pantry isn't the most organized pantry you will see, but it's a world of a difference for me. Clearly better than it was before. I feel like I can think while looking for food now. The color is cheerful and I am no longer embarrassed if the kids open it while we have company. I hope my post gives you some motivation to organize something in your house that needs it! If your house doesn't need it, then I want to see a post from you on how to do this to the rest of my house! :) 


Linking up with: Get Your DIY On,  I Should be Mopping the Floor, DIY Sunday Showcase, Pinworthy Projects Party, Fluster's Creative Muster

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

At January 6, 2014 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Cheryl @ mycuprunnethover312 said...

Hi Tara! I love the color and the vinyl you chose - totally crushing! I need to re-org my pantry as well and love how you did it! Stopping over from The Hankful House. Have a great week! - Cheryl

 
At January 6, 2014 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Carbonneau said...

I love it Tara! great job! thanks for the inspiration, I am on a major organizing kick over here, and as if I didn't have enough to do...this is a must do as well! great job! I guess I need to start ordering vinyl and invite Kathy over :)

 
At January 6, 2014 at 2:22 PM , Anonymous Rebecca/ @MrsCelebration said...

I love it! The color is gorgeous and I love the vinyl design. I need to do this too!

 
At January 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM , Anonymous Amy M said...

It looks very nice. I have never heard of having vinyl printed, so I don't really understand that step.

 
At January 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks for stopping by Cheryl! I'm glad you like the color and vinyl I chose!

 
At January 9, 2014 at 10:00 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At January 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Yes! Have Kathy come over and help! At first people were like "no one sees the pantry, why fix that up?" but I am so glad I did! Its definitely one of many areas I need to organize this year! Thanks for checking it out and stopping by!! :)

 
At January 9, 2014 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you Rebecca! So happy you stopped by!

 
At January 9, 2014 at 10:03 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Amy! I probably used the wrong term, instead of printed I had some vinyl ordered through my friend Beth. I gave her the design I wanted and she was able to make me some like it. Thanks for stopping by. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

 
At January 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM , Blogger Mandy Hank said...

Awesome Tara, love this and your painting. Totally adorable!

 
At January 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Stephanie Paxman said...

So pretty! I need to get some color in my pantry!

 
At January 18, 2014 at 4:56 AM , Blogger Jennifer Johnson said...

Love it! This has to be my next project.

 
At January 20, 2014 at 1:41 PM , Blogger kyudko said...

Where did you find your containers? I would like to do our pantry and have it easier to see all the items. Great jobs.

 
At February 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the font that you used! Can you tell me what the name of it is? I'd like my custom made labels to match the ones you've made already. Thanks!

 
At February 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! I am inspired!

 
At April 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Chelle said...

So very cute! I am also interested in the font you used for the pantry tags.

 
At February 10, 2016 at 4:46 AM , Blogger Elle said...

I was also interested in finding out what font was used. I did some searching but was not able to find an exact match, however, I found one that is close. I used Lemonade from dafont.com

 
At March 4, 2016 at 8:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the look of your reorganized pantry, esp the color you picked for the wall. My only question, are the stickers removable and reusable to be able to wash the container?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home