Friday, November 8, 2013

Simple Burlap Thanksgiving Banner

Posted by Devin


I made this banner last year and I am so in love with it. It was super quick and easy to make and it looks just gorgeous hanging in my dining room. Want to make one of your own? Here's what you'll need:

Supply List - burlap, yarn, yarn needle, faux fall leaves, black paint, sponge brush, card stock, stencils (which I provide as printables below or you can use your own)

Step 1: Cut out your burlap using this printable template:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSnruYDpCTLOTVKY3pyX2N6eVk/edit?usp=sharing
 
Step 2: Print out the following templates on card stock, cut out the letters, and use the card stock paper as your stencils for the banner. If you don't want to go through the work of cutting these out you can always buy stencils at craft supply stores (just make sure to take the banner template with you to check the sizing of the letters). Either way, take your sponge brush and black paint and gently stencil the letters onto the burlap pennants. Be careful not to get too much paint on your sponge brush so the paint does not seep through the edges of the stencil. To print my stencils, click on the images below.
 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSnruYDpCTLa0RTd1lIM3NTTnM/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzSnruYDpCTLazl3WTVhZm5YLTg/edit?usp=sharing
 
Step 3: Once the paint has dried on the pennants, all that's left to do is string everything together with the yarn! Thread your yarn needle with the yarn of your choice and then sew it through the fall leaves and pennants until the banner is complete! Alternate with leaves, pennant, leaves, pennant, etc. I purchased my leaves on a chain of fall leaves, as shown lying on my buffet. I simply had to pull a few leaves off of the chain and there was a nice hole left to thread the needle through. See below.
 
 
Good luck making these banners! I promise they will be worth your while. :)
 

Labels:

5 Comments:

At November 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Love this, it's so simple but totally cute! I featured this on my blog this morning and I'm just stopping by to pin it! You can check it out here: http://practicallyfunctional.com/7-diy-thanksgiving-project-ideas/ Thanks for sharing the idea at my link party!

 
At November 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM , Blogger HEATHER GRAHAM said...

This is so cute! I love the templates - great freebie! I'm a sucker for burlap, so I'm a little in love with the pennants.. LOL! Found you at Tater tots and Jello's linky party, and wanted to stop by to invite you to join in a party that I and twelve other bloggers are hosting. We'd love for you to share this project and any others you would like.... Hope you can stop by! http://stringtownhome.net/?p=754

 
At November 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks so much for the feature Jessi! xoxo

 
At November 13, 2013 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Heather! I just went and linked it up as well as one other project. :)

 
At November 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Kathleen said...

I love this. It is so fantastic!! I really love the pop of color in the leaves. I also love that you make it so easy with all of the templates. Takes the rate of errors! Thanks for linking up to Tips and Tricks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home