Monday, October 28, 2013

The Path of Motherhood

Posted by Tara



Recently a few friends and family members have had new babies. I'm so excited for them and their new journey on the path of Motherhood. As I visit with them about their new experiences it reminds me of what I was like when I came home with my first. I'll skip the labor and delivery story and jump into my life with a 4 week old baby. My breast milk never came in, so I didn't have the opportunity to breast feed. I think most first time moms want to give a shot at breast feeding. I wanted to, but apparently my body didn't. Anyways, after about a month or so, I hit the "Baby Blues" and for the first six months struggled with Postpartum. I know everyone's experience is different, but mine was heavily involved with it. I wouldn't get dressed and would just sit in this recliner in my bedroom and sob ALL. DAY. LONG. I remember not understanding how I was so excited just weeks before to have this new little one and now I wished he would go back into my belly. My poor husband was called way too many times a day at work from a hysterical wife. I think he caught on that I needed some help to get through that time after my pregnancy and called people to come sit with me and visit with me so I wouldn't get down. Life was so hard at that time.

Fast forward 8 years. I have 5 kids now. I had my first in 2005, second in 2006, third in 2007, fourth in 2009, and fifth in 2011. This last baby (Baby #5) I was a totally different mom coming home. It was like night and day. I felt like I was on top of things like the baby, dinners, and the other kids. I actually got dressed and did stuff during the day. Don't get me wrong, having 5 kids is very overwhelming but this time I had older kids to help. Still, bringing baby number 5 home was not EASY, I just did better adjusting this time. Its an exhausting and never ending job that I signed up for 8 years ago. Glad I did. I feel like I have evolved into a different mom each year, learning more and more about parenting and patience. I know every year that passes I am a different mom than I was 2-3 years ago. And that is what is supposed to happen. I always hear how the little ones are like sponges, but I feel like us mothers are too. After leaving my toothbrush on the counter in my bathroom and finding my two year old playing with it in my toilet, I quickly put it in my mind not to leave it there again. See, we do grow and become better parents! :) I hope that as your little ones grow, you will grow too. You probably will and won't realize it until you remember how it was bringing home your first born. That's how it was for me. I feel like Motherhood just keeps getting better and better on this journey! Good luck to all those new mommies out there! Snuggle those little babies, they grow fast!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At October 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM , Blogger Mela said...

What a neat story. Thanks for sharing it. :0)

 
At November 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Mandy Hank said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story Taryn! You do make some adorable kiddos!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home