Friday, October 25, 2013

6 Last-Minute Halloween Costume Ideas

Posted by Devin

Last week this mama went to the beach for seven glorious days. It. Was. Awesome. Unfortunately for me, that means I am now back in the real world and Halloween is a week away... Did I get costumes figured out for my boys before I left? No I did not. So yesterday we began pulling out our old costumes and putting some things together. And today I thought I'd share some of the easier costumes I have made to help out any other mamas who may be in my same predicament this year. ;) All of these costumes are inexpensive and made with items we already had on hand or that are carried in most stores with Halloween costumes (like Party City or the Halloween Super Store).

The Vampire

 
What You Need: Black Cape, Vampire Teeth, Face Paint, Large Medallion Necklace, Button-Down Shirt, Black Pants, Black Shoes
 
This has to be the easiest costume to put together. A quick trip to the costume store and you are ready to go! It's inexpensive and super easy. I was relieved when Connor said he wanted to be a vampire this year. We already had everything on hand except the teeth. Phew! One boy ready to go...
 
The Mummy

 
What You Need: Black Long-Sleeved Turtle Neck, Black Stretchy Pants, White Sheet, Face Paint
 
This is a costume I made a few years ago for my oldest boy and thankfully Cash is excited to wear it this year! We had to try on EVERY costume in the storage container, but we finally found a winner. Yes! A mummy costume can be super simple by dressing your child in the black shirt and pants and then draping the strips of white sheet around them and you are done! I wanted mine to be really durable so I actually sewed the strips to the shirt and pants, leaving a few ends hanging off, and then draped one loose strip around his head and neck. The little bit of extra work has been worth it for me since I do not have to worry about the strips falling everywhere while he wears the costume AND I simply pull it out of the box every year and it is ready for another child to wear it! Cash does not have his face paint on in this picture, but we will probably be adding a white face and black-ringed eyes to complete the look come Halloween. I wish you all could see his little baby mummy walk he does... It's classic!
 
The Boxer

 
What You Need: Boxing Gloves, Athletic Shorts, Large Hoodie, Belt, Cardboard or Poster Board, Black Face Paint, Socks & Shoes
 
A few weeks ago Caden got a black eye when his baby brother's head hit him on the slide at the park. We joked with Caden that it was too bad it wasn't Halloween yet so he could go as a boxer. Well the idea seemed to stick because when I asked him what he would like to be for Halloween he immediately said, "A boxer!" I looked on the Internet to see what was available out there and found that there is basically ONE Everlast costume for boys and it runs around $40. So I went to our local Walmart and found real boxing gloves in the sporting goods section for just under $13. This sounded a lot better than $40 to me so I decided we would take the cheaper route for this costume (and now I have gloves if I ever decide to take up boxing, bonus!). He's wearing his dad's hoodie and all his own clothes so our only purchase was the gloves. I made the "Champ" belt buckle with poster board and simply cut slits in the board that his regular belt could go through. As you can see Caden is bare-chested here, but he will probably wear a white tee for Trick-Or-Treating. It's really not cold here yet, but a bare-chest can get a little chilly at night. And we don't want him intimidating anyone with all of those muscles. ;)
 
The Wizard

 
What You Need: Black Cloak, Gold Material, Iron-On Adhesive (Heat N' Bond), Wizard Hat, Beard, Large Stick or Scepter or Wand
 
I originally made this costume for Connor who requested to be a wizard for Halloween two years ago. I couldn't find any wizard costumes locally, but the Halloween Super Store had a wizard hat, a beard, and a plain black cloak. So I purchased some gold fabric and some iron-on adhesive and voila! The cutest little wizard costume ever! It's amazing what a few gold stars can do. Connor used a large knotty stick as his wizard wand, but here Chase is holding the scepter we use for the King costume (shown at bottom). I frequently repurpose bits and pieces from other costumes to make new ones. It makes it a whole lot easier AND cheaper than starting from scratch. 
 
The Superhero
 
 
What You Need: Cape, Leggings, Red Underwear, White T-Shirt, Iron-On Adhesive, Small Amount of Fabric, Mask, Boots, Gloves

Speaking of recycling old costumes to make new ones, this costume is the perfect example of that. Every year Chase wants to be "Super Chase." This year he is still deciding between this costume and the King costume below. He just loves loves loves being his own original superhero and he can't bear to pass up the opportunity to be Super Chase again when Halloween rolls around. We'll see next week if he ends up going with this again. To make this costume I used bits and pieces of other costumes I already had. The leggings and red underwear are from a Nacho Libre costume I made, the red cape is a hand-me-down from Jake's mom (he and his brothers used to wear it), and the mask, gloves, and boots are from a Mr. Incredible costume we purchased awhile back. So the only thing I had to make for this was the "C" shirt using the iron-on adhesive and material I already had. Look through your old costumes and use what you have in new and creative ways to make fun, original costumes. And if you happen to have a boy or two, chances are you already have a few superhero costumes and capes from Halloweens past. It doesn't take too much work to recycle it and make your child their own superhero.
 
The King
 
 
What You Need: King Hat, White Furry Material, Red Material, One Shoelace, Iron-On Adhesive, Medallion Necklace, White Tights, Dress Shirt, Blue or Black Shorts, Dress Shoes, Scepter
 
You may have noticed that none of these costumes I have shown so far require any sewing. This one has a slight exception: I sewed the cape together. All I did to sew it was measured my fabric to the dimensions I wanted, hemmed the edges, and folded the top over and sewed it to make a place to string a shoelace through to give it a drawstring tie around the neck. If you can find an already-made red cape, you can skip the sewing step. To give the cape the furry edges, I measured and cut strips of the fur fabric and used the iron-on adhesive to attach them. For the furry collar, I simply cut another piece of the fur fabric to the shape I wanted and pinned it together in the front with a safety pin. It's really not very much work for a super cute King costume.
 
And that's it! I wish I had some girl costumes to share, but unfortunately that is not my department. ;) Good luck to all of you costume-creating mamas out there! Happy Halloween!
 

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At October 29, 2013 at 5:00 AM , Blogger Chrissy Boerman said...

Love these ideas. ESP the wizard. That's my favorite, it's usually snowing on halloween here so the boxer is out. Ha thanks for linking up to the all things pretty party.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home