Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Red White & Blue for September 11th

Posted by Devin

 
September 11th, 2001. Everyone probably remembers where they were that day. Jake and I had been married for a year and were living in a new apartment near ASU. Jake had a 7:45am class that morning and so had risen and left early. I woke up to a phone call from him. "Devin, go turn on the news. Something is happening in New York City." Jake had stopped in at our university's Institute building and was watching the events unfold with many other students on the television there. I watched in horror by myself in our apartment. I saw the second plane hit the South Tower and people jump out of the buildings on live TV. I cried, I prayed, I called my family.
 
Jake was studying Finance and Economics in the Business College which had primarily American professors and I was studying Mechanical Engineering and happened to have mostly foreign professors that semester. I will never forget the drastically different experiences we each had that day. Jake's classes were all cancelled except for one where his professor delivered an inspiring and tearful speech before excusing his students for the day. My classes were not. My professors did not acknowledge that anything was happening, it was business as usual.
 
I don't hold anything against those professors, I'm not at all sure how I would behave if I were living in a foreign country where a major terrorist attack was taking place. But I do know that the events of that day had a profound affect on those of us who were American citizens. Out of such an unimaginably terrible tragedy came unity, strength, and pride in our country that I had never felt before. It seemed like the entire American population was on the same wave length. I hope that each year on the aniversary of those events we can recapture some of that love and unity we felt for each other then.
 
 
In honor of September 11th, I thought I'd sport my favorite red, white, and blue shirt for this weeks fashion post. I really love this shirt. I actually picked it out in the men's section for my husband, but when it turned out to be too small for him I grabbed it and said "Well then let me try it on!" So glad I stole it for myself.  


 
What I Wore:
Shirt - Old Navy (Men's Clearance)
Yellow Skinnies - Rue 21
Flats - Target
Necklace - Kohl's
Belt - H&M
 
Linking Up With:

Labels:

12 Comments:

At September 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Brandi Barrera said...

Can I just say that you two are adorable & I am kinda obsessed with y'alls Instagram pictures, they are awesome :-)
Xoxo, Brandi
www.realitiesofbrandi.com

 
At September 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM , Blogger Salt and Pepper said...

Well Thank you!! We will be sure to check out your blog as well!! Thanks for stopping by Brandi!

 
At September 11, 2013 at 6:49 AM , Blogger My Way to Fit and Fab said...

I love the fact that you got that shirt from the men's clearance! I love the shirt and it looks great with the belt!

mywaytofitandfab.blogspot.com

 
At September 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks so much! Can't limit myself to just the women's racks, hahaha! -Devin

 
At September 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Chioma said...

you look so cute! love the yellow with that shirt :)

~Chioma
C's Evolution of Style

 
At September 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Super cute outfit! Love those contrasting colors.

 
At September 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Ashley @TheCreamToMyCoffee said...

Gah, just thinking about what happened that day gives me chills. I hope we never forget what our country went through on Sept 11th.

I love that you went with Red, White and Blue - such a great shirt!

 
At September 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Jodi said...

first off, super cute outfit! Second... that is really interesting how the foreign vs. American professors handled 9/11. I remember life halting for days while being glued to the tv and crying myself dry of tears. I can't imagine being expected to just continue on like normal! I too loved the way we all responded though and the spirit of unity and patriotism that came out of the ashes.

 
At September 11, 2013 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Chioma! -Devin

 
At September 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you Jessica! For some reason the yellow just seems to work with that shirt. ;) -Devin

 
At September 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

It gives me chills too, Ashley. I know I will never forget it. Thank you for stopping by! -Devin

 
At September 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

It was really strange to not have it acknowledged at all and difficult to keep up with the demanding work load when our minds were elsewhere. Just like you said, it seemed like the rest of life halted for awhile. Thank you for your comment, I particularly love your last line! -Devin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home