Monday, August 5, 2013

Dishwasher Secrets: Getting the Best Performance from your Dishwasher

Posted by Tara


If you don't have a dishwasher, I'm sorry. I rely on my dishwasher to help keep my sanity. Doing the dishes is my least favorite chore in my house. If you want your dishwasher to last long, I have a few tips to share that most people aren't aware of. I know this information because I have a very smart husband, Seth, and his job requires him to work directly with appliance techs and stores. Ever since we started following the advice of his techs our dishes are clean and clear! I highly recommend all of the following:

1. Before you run your dishwasher make sure to let the water run in your kitchen sink until it is HOT. If your water doesn't get that hot, they recommend that you set your water heater to 120°. This helps the dishwasher get started with hot water rather than starting with cold and slowly having to warm up. Hotter water equals cleaner dishes.

2. Ever heard of Lemi Shine? Most people haven't. This stuff will work wonders on your dishes and your glasses. Add a teaspoon or two of this in with your detergent when starting your dishwasher. I saw immediate results when using it! It doesn't retail for very much and can be found in most grocery stores. If you can't find it go to an appliance store and they can help you track some down.


3. I think most of you have heard of the major benefits of vinegar in the house. It can help clean everything, even your dishwasher! Once or twice a month, run your dishwasher with 1 cup of vinegar to help clean any hard water or calcium build-ups. Simply pour the vinegar into the bottom of the dishwasher and run.



There is a product out there that does the same thing as vinegar in your dishwasher. It's called Dishwasher Magic It removes hard water and rust from spray arms, hoses, and filters. Using this will result in clean, germ free dishes. 

4. You are either a Cascade fan or Finish fan. Which are you?? Years ago we were told from a tech that Cascade eliminated phosphates from its products. Nobody had heard of this, but people were starting to notice that their dishes were not as clean as before. Finish has continued to put those phosphates in their products which help them to break down food on dishes. We use Finish for this reason and I love the results every time. You can go to their website here and even ask for a free sample if you would like to give it a try!


5. Jet Dry. Your dishwasher NEEDS a rinsing agent. A rinsing agent keeps your dishes from getting spots on them. There are a couple different brands of rinsing agents, but I have always used Jet Dry. If you haven't been using a rinsing agent, I suggest starting. You will see a difference. 

All of these opinions are my own. These are the products that I use to get the best performance from my dishwasher. I know many people haven't used these products or tried these methods yet, so I thought I would share! Happy Dishwashing!!

Linking up with: Craft-O-Maniac, Monday Funday, Sumo's Sweet Stuff, Keeping it Simple, Sew Can Do, Hope Studios, Show Me What Ya Got

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At August 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Another big one that I found out- read your manual. It sounds lame, but they have the best way to load your dishwasher for optimal cleaning! THanks for the tips! I'll be pinning this!

 
At August 5, 2013 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Yes! That is also important! Thanks for stopping by and pinning!

 
At August 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Jenny Gillespie said...

I use distilled white vinegar as my pre-wash every. single. time. SO much cheaper than the other pre-washes and it helps the dishwasher AND the dishes at the same time. Thanks for the other tips too!

 
At August 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Don't you love that!!? I love when I have a household product that is cheap and saves me time and money! Vinegar is awesome! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At August 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Julie Cohn said...

Love all your recommendations--we use all those products, and they keep our dishwasher shiny and clean!!

 
At August 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Deanna Heiliger said...

Great recommendations! I have not heard of Lemi Shine...I will track it down and try it.

 
At August 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM , Blogger The Cry of Fire said...

Excited to see your results.

Dustin Bryson
Director of Marketing, Lemi Shine

 
At August 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thats good to hear! Thanks for stopping by!!

 
At August 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Yes, Lemi Shine really makes a big difference! Thanks for visiting the blog! :)
-Tara

 
At August 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks for stopping by our blog! We are both fans of Lemi Shine and when I talked to most people, they hadn't heard of it. Thought it would be great to post on the blog for more people to know of the product.

 
At August 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

These are all great tips! I need to run some vinegar in my dishwasher. We have hard water here and I'm sure it would help. :) I just saw your strawberry freezer jam recipe too...I think I need to try that! Thanks for sharing. :)

 
At August 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Yay! So glad you found us! Thanks Lisa! ~Devin

 
At December 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Franchesca James said...

I really would have loved these tips about a week ago. I wish I could keep my dishwasher running better. I'll probably end up needing dishwasher repair in Calgary before it gets any better.

 
At March 19, 2015 at 7:50 AM , Anonymous Beko OneTouch said...

Many nice sharing here, just FYI here, Beko OneTouch Dishwasher which include the “mixed wash” technology which applies different water pressures on each basket to protect your delicate glassware while giving pots and pans a thorough wash. See my review at:
http://kidbuxblog.com/new-beko-onetouch-dishwasher-dfn1000x/

 
At November 9, 2015 at 12:28 AM , Blogger Herry Pat said...

I am all time fond of reading the blog, when I reached to this blog I wondered to read such informative article, it inspired me a lot thanks.
great appliance repair company

 
At January 22, 2016 at 12:22 AM , Blogger Abhijeet Bhosale said...

Your blog is absolutely fantastic. Good work.Regards.
www.geelongcommercialcleaners.com.au

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home