Monday, July 1, 2013

How to Style a Bookcase



I've lived in my house for over a year now and still haven't done my bookshelves. Every time I go over to Devin's house her shelves are tidy and cute. Mine always look like mass chaos! I knew she had an eye for styling a book shelf, and brought her over to do mine.
Here is what it looked like before we took everything out of it. There was no organization to mine. Stuff was just thrown in there. 



First we emptied the entire shelves and dusted. (Yes dusted. I live on a dirt road, enough said.) 



We organized the books into colors. Most of my books are vintage books from Decor Deals or Deseret Industries. The vintage books are usually a solid color. I have other books that aren't and they still looked awesome on the shelf! 


Most important tips while putting books back into shelves: 
  • Group Books according to size and color
  • Place the books on the shelf so that the spines are all even and make a straight line parallel with the edge of the bookshelf



 
  • Stack books vertically as well as horizontally

  •  
     
    • Mix small decor items in with the books
     

    • Use baskets here and there to mix things up  



    • Don't push the books to the back of the shelves, keep them up front where you can see them

    They look so much better and cleaner. Now that I have these tips I plan on doing my other shelves in my home. Happy Organizing!
     

    Labels: , ,

    7 Comments:

    At July 1, 2013 at 6:38 PM , Blogger Chrissy Delacy said...

    I LOVE that your string art made its way to a special spot in your home!! :)

     
    At July 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

    Thanks for inviting us to the Crafty Pants Night! Love my string art and how it looks on my shelf!!
    -Tara

     
    At July 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Caitlin Nalder said...

    Looks Great!

     
    At July 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Jenna Foote said...

    Thanks so much for posting this! I used your advice to redo my own bookshelf. It looks a million times cuter now! It was good to meet you at Chrissy's party. :)

     
    At July 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

    Thanks Jenna!! Glad it was of help! It was good to meet you as well!

    -Tara

     
    At July 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Mandy Hank said...

    I love this post! Makes me want to redo mine. Wish you guys lived closer, I would have you come over- thanks for linking up this week to the Inspiration Gallery!

    Mandy @ The Hankful House Blog

     
    At July 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

    Aw man, I wish we lived closer too! I'm always looking for a good bookshelf to makeover, lol! Love when people let me decorate for them. ;) Thanks Mandy! ~Devin

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home