Thursday, June 13, 2013

Keeping It Neat: 5 Tips for a Tidy Home

Posted by Devin
Let me first say that I do not have it all together yet when it comes to running my household. Does anyone? The ironing gets piled up, there is dust on my shelves, the floors usually need mopping (again), and my windows receive a washing about once every 6 months, to name a few things. My house may not always be immaculately clean, BUT I do keep a very tidy home. And I find that keeping a tidy home makes it a whole lot easier to attempt to keep a clean one.

My need to keep things neat comes from my OCD nature and strong dislike of clutter. I wish I had the same compulsion over dust, but if I did I may never sit down again since I live in a dust bowl desert! But really, if things start to get pretty messy I feel like I am going to crawl out of my skin! So how does a mother of 4 boys suffering from this "tidy freak condition" manage to keep her sanity without smothering her children? Here are my rules I follow:

1. A Place for Everything. I know, I know... Duh, like we haven't heard that before?! But making sure that everything has a place it belongs is absolutely key to organization. When my husband and I were first married, he would come home everyday with notes and business cards and tons of little papers that he needed to keep for one reason or another. He would toss them wherever and didn't like it when I messed with them (for good reason, because I usually chucked them in the trash). Uh-oh, here was our first run-in with my OCD-side. I finally told him I just could not live with tiny papers everywhere, I might die. I gave him a basket, kindly asked him to put everything in the basket, and promised I wouldn't touch any of it as long as it was in said basket. Problem solved and our little apartment went back to being my tidy sanctuary (and our happy love nest)!

Since then, this motto has continued to serve us well. As our family's grown and we've accumulated more "stuff" I have always tried to make sure that things have a place they belong. Baskets, toy containers, hooks, drawer organizers, and adequate closet systems all come in handy when working on finding homes for everything. Figure out where things belong and make sure when you buy new things to find a designated place for them too!


2. Everything in It's Place: The Stuff Shuffle. So the other half of rule #1. Having a place to put everything doesn't really help if nothing is ever where it belongs, right? Here's how the "stuff shuffle" works. When you are going from one room to another, look around and see what "stuff" is lying about that belongs in the room you are heading to. Then pick it up, take it with you, and put it away. Sounds simple, right? It is! But it makes a really big difference! If Cash needs a diaper change, I scan the living room to see what needs to be taken back to his room on our way. Then after I'm done changing his diaper, I scan his bedroom to see what needs to go back to the living room, and so on and so forth. Never go from one room to another without taking some things with you that need to be put away. (Thank you, Olga, for telling me this trick when I was a new mom. It has since become a habit and a very valuable one in my pursuit of tidiness!)

3. One Mess at a Time. My very favorite rule for my boys. I'm sure everyone has seen those signs that read "Please excuse the mess, my children are making memories." Of course, being who I am, that sign makes my skin start crawling, then I have visions of a home that looks like a landfill fell on top of it with crazy monkey children in rags swinging from vines through the living room, and THEN it makes me feel guilty about my need for neat and I start to fear that I am stifling my kids. My solution: one mess at a time. If the kids are playing in their room they can play with and get out whatever they like, the room can get as messy as their hearts desire. But before they can move on to the living room toy baskets or the office for craft time or the garage to play with their bikes and scooters, they have to clean up their rooms. This is the rule for whatever area they are playing in and whatever mess they are currently making. You can't start a new mess until the last one is cleaned up!

I know that kids need to be kids and they need to play. Of course. But it's also good to teach them to clean up after themselves and have some responsibility over the state of our home. Kids need playtime, but I also think they thrive in a "house of order."

Here's Cash making, let's be honest, not a very big mess. You just can't get a kid to make a decent mess when you're ready to take a picture for a blog post!


4. Do Not Go To Bed With a Messy Kitchen. I am a very strict follower of this rule. My husband told me he can count on one hand how many times I have gone to bed with a messy kitchen since we've been married. Again, visions of bugs and ants invading the kitchen because I left dirty dishes or food on the counter haunt me and I can't sleep until it's clean. I know, I have a bit of a problem. ;) BUT... the 15-20 minutes I spend loading the dishwasher, washing the pots/pans, putting leftovers away, wiping the counters, and sweeping the floor REALLY REALLY pay off the next day when everything starts all over again. I hate waking up and knowing I am already behind in the day's tasks. Clean your kitchen before you go to bed and start the next day right!



5. End of the Day Sweep. Last but not least, my end of the day sweep. When it is time to put the kids to bed, I make sure that they have followed rule #3 and that all messes are put away before we have prayers. Then we follow Rule #2 and "shuffle" any left over items to their rooms as we go to kiss and tuck them in. Once they are in bed, I quickly scan the house and make sure that everything is back in order with nothing left lying about. If we've done a good job following the other rules throughout the day, this is usually just a 5 minute or less task of putting a few odds and ends away.



And that, my friends, is how this OCD mother keeps her sanity and her home in working order. It may not be for everyone, but I hope atleast one of these rules make it a bit easier for you to keep some order amidst the chaos of kiddos. We mommies have to band together. After all, the kids are usually faster and more effective at destroying than we are at trying to keep up! Good luck ladies!

 Don't forget to follow us on BlogLovin'!

Labels: , , ,

24 Comments:

At June 13, 2013 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Brie said...

Glad to know I am not alone in my OCD inability to sleep with a dirty kitchen! Great tips :)

 
At June 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM , Anonymous Erin @ Strawberry Mommycakes said...

I hate that quote too (about the memories)! I let them be kids, but I'm not going to let them trash the house. Love these tips!

 
At June 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Ladies! Glad other Moms feel the same!

-Tara

 
At July 12, 2013 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Kelley Howell said...

Love the tips!

 
At July 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Kelley! ~Devin

 
At September 28, 2013 at 5:17 AM , Blogger rumi islam eva said...

I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. You can visit my website.
distressed properties


 
At October 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM , Blogger khandelwal said...

thanks.. i will try to deploy..

 
At November 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Deidra Schaefer said...

Thanks for these tips, Tara! Having a clean home means a very responsible mistress of the house. Though it's an unwritten rule, it’s common knowledge that the appearance of the house reflects to your attitude as mother.

Deidra @MinuteManIntl.com

 
At November 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tips. My husband has extreme true OCD, to the point we maintain a marriage by him living on another continent in the Middle East! In any event, with 2 young kids, things get messy! I appreciate your tips. I have to comment on one of your photos, because...I am not a tidy freak, but I am a worry wart, Just check those lights hanging from the bed are not an electrical or hanging hazard. I am sure you have! Just couldn't resist saying something...just in case. Thanks again!

 
At July 15, 2014 at 6:37 AM , Blogger Christine said...

I wish my mom had "stifled" me in this way, but she couldn't teach me what she didn't know. I've struggled and failed my whole with trying to keep a tidy home. You're doing something wonderful for your children!

 
At November 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM , OpenID Brian Driscoll said...

Nice blog, I learn a lot on how to clean a home. Because some ideas that I get on some websites are not effective. We have an office and commercial cleaning in Melbourne services that was very great in cleaning. You can visit their website for more details.

 
At December 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM , Blogger jtman9200 said...

I can only wish that my house was as clean as your before pictures! I can't go a few hours without my kids throwing the couch cushions on the ground. I'm always finding dishes and socks anywhere and everywhere. http://www.kimberlyskleaning.com

 
At March 2, 2015 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Jason shwartz said...

I personally love having a clean house. My brother on the other hand, is not so great at keeping his house clean. Something that he is really having a hard time with is that everything does not have its own place. Like you mentioned, being able to have a place for everything helps to ensure that there are easy cleanups for messes. Thank you for such great information. http://a1maidservice.com

 
At April 29, 2015 at 4:48 AM , Anonymous M. Gragas said...

Personally I'm clean but not a very tidy one. Thanks for all the tips, especially the 2nd one. I will definitely share your fantastic post.

 
At August 31, 2015 at 4:38 AM , Blogger Sam Luke said...

This blog post is really great; the quality information of this post is genuinely incredible.
office cleaning

 
At November 2, 2015 at 7:37 AM , Anonymous Caroline Mcguire said...

Fantastic tips! I have 2 kids. My home is a mess. my opinion is that living room could be a mess but my kitchen couldn`t be! It is my rule. Cleaning the most important room in the house is something that makes me happy. Happy cleaning!

 
At January 7, 2016 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Abhijeet Bhosale said...

This is a great post, very interesting points and I have enjoyed immeasurably. Lots of thanks!
carpet cleaning geelong

 
At June 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Steve Berke said...

Great post. I enjoyed reading this piece. Congrats :)

I think this article from the blog of Kings Great Buy will complement this article.

 
At September 15, 2016 at 10:33 PM , Blogger Elisha Brewster said...

These are great tips for a tidy home. I think these are all applicable to ou recently bought house and lot in Cebu

 
At September 26, 2016 at 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Nice article. There is more interesting information about siivouspalvelu.

 
At September 26, 2016 at 11:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Nice article. There is more interesting information about siivouspalvelu.

 
At February 6, 2017 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Maria Anna Ramirez said...

Though the transformation was heavily seen, these are still valuable tips to add in your tricks on doing home chores. A friend of mine was looking into this House and lot for sale in Cagayan de oro city it would really be of big help if you could give us your thoughts regarding the location.

 
At March 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM , Blogger Manar Koutb said...



Almost every home has a carpet as a necessity, as carpets help make the floor and house warm all seasons round. Carpets are also used as décor in many homes, as different colors and designs are great to look at. These carpets are susceptible to dust and other forms of dirt. Some stains are too stubborn to clean, and it may take ages before the stain can come off from your special mat. Although there are different techniques of cleaning carpets, special detergents and cleaning materials are required to make the cleaning exercise worthwhile. If you have been dealing with carpet stains and are still worried how they can become clean again, maybe it is time you tried carpet cleaning experts.
شركة نظافة بجدة
شركة تنظيف منازل بجدة
شركة تنظيف بجدة

 
At June 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM , Blogger rabab saad said...

شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة
تقوم بتنظيف الشقق والمنازل والفلل بافضل جودة

شركة تنظيف فلل بالمدينة المنورة
تتميز لان لديها الات الحديثة والعمالة الماهرة
شركة تنظيف منازل بالمدينة المنورة
تستخدم اقوى المنظفات العالمية التى تساعدها فى التنظيف بمهارة ودقة
شركة تنظف شقق بالمدينة المنورة
تهتم بادق التفاصيل فتقوم بتنظيف الارضيات والحوائط والاسقف
شركة تنظف مجالس بالمدينة المنورة
تستخدم اقوى المنظفات التى لا تؤثر على الاقمشة وجودتها ولكن تقوم بالتنظيف المباشر وتقضي على اقوى الاوساخ مثل بقع القهوة العربية وغيرها من البقع
شركة تنظيف كنب بالمدبنة المنورة
تقوم بتنظيف كافة انواع الكنب ولدينا ايضا خدمة التنظيفبالبخار ايضا

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home