Monday, June 17, 2013

DIY Anchor Tees for the 4th of July!

Posted by Devin

Looking for cute shirts for the kiddos this 4th of July? These patriotic anchor tees are SUPER easy and quick to make thanks to my favorite crafting product: Heat N' Bond! (Click here for my last Heat N' Bond craft.)

What You Need:
-t-shirt in red, white or blue (found mine at Walmart for $3.47 each)
-patriotic fabric (very small amount needed, I purchase 12" for 4 shirts at the price of $1.81 and had plenty left over)
-anchor stencil (click here for printable stencil)
-Heat N' Bond (available at most craft and fabric stores)
-iron

Step 1. Print and cut out the anchor stencil. Cut off a piece of Heat N' Bond large enough to cover the stencil. Easy!

Step 2. Iron your piece of Heat N' Bond onto the back of your patriotic fabric, paper side up. Follow directions on Heat N' Bond packaging (basically just press and hold over each section for 2 seconds).

Step 3. Trace your stencil onto the Heat N' Bond paper and cut out your anchor.



Step 4.  Peel the paper off of the back of the anchor, place it on your t-shirt fabric side-up, and iron on according to Heat N' Bond package directions (just press and hold over each section for 8 seconds).



That's it! I made all 4 shirts for my boys in about an hour (that's WITH them asking me for drinks and snacks and who knows what else every 5 seconds). If you have a sewing machine, you may decide to run a stitch around the edges of the anchors: it will last forever then and look even cuter than it already does! (Note: Mine have been through the washing machine and dryer and they held up great! I do suggest laundering them inside out.) 

These 4 boys are ready for the 4th! Happy Independence Day!


                 

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At June 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Deanna Heiliger said...

What a cute idea...and cute boys too! Thank you!

 
At June 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Deanna! I sort-of like them too. ;) -Devin

 
At June 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Claires Healthy Home said...

These are just adorable! When my boys were younger I dressed them alike all the time. :) Now they only let me do it for family pic... [sigh] Have a great day! Claire

 
At June 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Claire! I'll enjoy it while I can. ;) ~Devin

 
At June 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Sooo cute! Love this!

 
At June 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Mandy Hank said...

Cute! I am a sucker for anchors :)

 
At June 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Vanessa and Mandy! ~Devin

 
At June 28, 2013 at 4:14 AM , Blogger Maria G said...

I love this for my son..hmmm I wonder if I could make something matchy for my girls.. your boys
are adorable

 
At June 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Maria, I really wished I had a girl to make one for because I thought a white tee with a red polka dot print anchor would be so adorable! Or any other color combo with a polka dot anchor. Good luck! Let us know if you decide to make some, we'd love to see pics! ~Devin

 
At July 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM , Blogger Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Tara and Devin! The boys look so cute in the anchor shirts! The shirts look so professionally done! Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! Blessings from Bama!

 
At July 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks so much Felecia! ~Devin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home