Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cash's 3rd Birthday: A Monster Party!

Posted by Devin

I love throwing birthday parties for my boys when they're little. They don't care what the theme is yet, so I can do what I want! I've always wanted to do a monster-themed birthday party and since this was my youngest's 3rd birthday (they are growing up so quickly!) I figured I'd better get to it! It turned out super cute and Cash loved the monsters.

If you'd like to throw your own monster party, I have some things to share with you! First of all, I've got some free printables. Woohoo! Does everyone love free printables as much as I do? I'm guessing yes!

Free Printables:

1. Invitations. Print, cut, and write your own party details on the inside and you're ready to go!

2. Food Tags. My menu for this party included barbeque sandwiches, coleslaw, baked beans, chips, and punch. Here is the monster tag for the barbeque sandwiches and here are the tags for the rest of the food. Again, simply print, cut and fold!





3. Monster Parts. This is simply a sheet of eyeballs, teeth, and horns that you can cut out and use to turn your pitchers, punch containers, and napkin and utensil holders into monsters. You can see some of these in the pic above and the pic below. For the utensils holder, I simply took a ziplock bag box, wrapped it in scrapbook paper, added the printable teeth, and made eyes using part of an egg carton.

4. Monster Banner. These are the circles I used for the centers of each of my banner pieces. Here is the first sheet and here is the second sheet. To make the banner, I cut out 16 traingles with scrapbook paper, pasted the printable circles to the middle of them, punched holes in 2 of the corners of each triangle, and strung them together using yarn. As Cash would say, "Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy!"


Next, THE CUPCAKES!!! Let me introduce you all to my mom, Denise.

She is a FABULOUS cook and baker. You always know you are in for something super delicious when you are invited over for a meal. In fact, if you just stop by and she serves you a sandwich it always seems to taste spectacular too! When I was a kid, my mom made us the most amazing cakes and cookies for our birthdays, a tradition I have tried to continue since I've become a mom. And sometimes I still call her in to help. ;) For this party, she made some adorable monster cupcakes she found in one of her cookbooks, What's New Cupcake, to go with my monster cake. Chase says they are my cakes "minions", lol! And because she is a super-cool grandma, she had the boys over to help out.

Items Needed: 1 box cake mix, regular and mini-sized cupcake pans and liners, frosting, frosting gun, food coloring or frosting flavor add-ins*, dum-dums, peach rings, and mini M&M's. (Grandma's Note: If enlisting the help of your grandkids, make sure you have extra M&M's and dum-dums to be eaten during production.)

*My Note: Mom chose to use the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations for her cupcakes in lieu of regular old food coloring. This was a really fun touch since they come in so many different flavors. She used Mint Chocolate for the green monsters, White Chocolate Rasberry for the purple, Orange Creme for the orange, and Cotton Candy for the blue. The kids (and even the adults for that matter) had fun trying the cool, new flavors. :)

Here's what she did:

Step 1. Use the box cake mix to make a dozen regular sized cupcakes and a dozen mini-cupcakes.

Step 2. To assemble the monsters, peel the cupcake liner off of a mini-cupcake and attach it to a larger cupcake using frosting as your "glue." She also added a little frosting to the top of the mini cupcake, I believe to make it easier for the colored frosting to adhere.

Step 3. Mix the Frosting Creations Flavor Mix into your frosting and frost the cupcakes. First frost around the large cupcake and then work your way up to the top. Mom used a fluted tip for her frosting gun that gave the monsters a "hairier" look.



Step 4. Assemble the eyes. Slip your dum-dum through the peach ring, put some frosting on the middle of the dum-dum, and attach an M&M!



Step 5. Put the eyes on the monsters by inserting the dum-dum sticks into the cupcakes and you're done! Aren't they the cutest?!!

Ok, last but not least, THE CAKE! When trying to decide how to make a monster cake, this cake I made was the first and most common one I found on both Google and Pinterest. I did not, however, find any insrtuctions. So here is how I made my version of this monster cake.

Items Needed: 1 box cake mix, 2 large tubs white or vanilla frosting (if you have a good, firm frosting recipe I recommend you use it), very small amound chocolate frosting, frosting gun*, food coloring (I used neon orange), shish kabob skewers, and large marshmallows.

*Another Note: Buying a frosting gun is a very good investment if you enjoy baking and making things look pretty with frosting. I own Wilton's Dessert Decorator Plus and love, love, love it. Actually, my mom bought it for me a few years back since I kept borrowing her frosting gun every few months. Now she doens't have to keep asking for hers back. ;)

Step 1. I used a chocolate cake box mix to make 2 - 9" round cakes. When they were cooled, I removed them from the pans and cut off the top of one of them just to make it a bit flatter. This will be my bottom cake.


Step 2. Frost the top of your bottom cake and then place your other cake on top of it. Frost around the edges to make a nice smooth surface.


Step 3. Color your frosting, load your frosting gun, and begin frosting the edges of the cake. Start at the top and drag it down. I used a simple, round tip on my gun.



Step 4. Once you have frosted all the way around your cake, begin to frost the top. I made frosting lines starting at the center of the cake and going out to the edge. I then worked my way around, frosting spaced out lines and then filling them in. Just keep making lines, filling in the spaces as you go, and always moving in a center-to-edge direction until you are done!



Step 5. At this point you will want to put your cake into the fridge until it is almost party time. This will keep the frosting chilled and set so it does not get melty and slide around. When it IS party time, you need to assemble the eyes. Cut your skewers to your desired length and attach marshmallows to the end of the skewers. Pipe chocolate frosting circles onto the marshmallows and insert the skewers onto the cake.

Step 6. Make the mouth. Make a squiggly smile with chocolate frosting and add some teeth with white frosting. You're done!

Here is the cake with his "minions." :)

Happy Birthday Buddy!!!



Labels: , , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At June 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Chelsea said...

These cakes and cupcakes are adorable! What a great idea for a party!

 
At June 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you Chelsea!!! ~Devin

 
At August 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Sarah Westover McKenna said...

Way too cute!!! I love it all, ESPECIALLY the cake and cupcakes!!

 
At August 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Jenn@wedofunhere said...

LOVE this party idea, it's so FUN! Thanks for sharing how to make the very cute cake and cupcakes, they look yummy too!

 
At August 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM , Blogger DesignedByBH said...

This party is so cute! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!! :)

 
At August 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Shamene Medeiros said...

what a cute party! I love the Monster cake! Pinned it! i also liked your facebook page and was wondering if you could check out my page and like me back? Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/bakersRus123

 
At August 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Sarah! ~Devin

 
At August 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

So glad you liked it, Jen! Thanks for visiting! ~Devin

 
At August 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

You're very welcome! Thanks for stopping by! ~Devin

 
At August 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Will do! Thanks for pinning! ~Devin

 
At August 10, 2015 at 3:51 AM , Anonymous Divinia said...

What an awesome idea..It's creative as well!Thank you for sharing your ideas,can't wait to try them out!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home