Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Burlap Book Pocket

Posted by Devin
 
 
Yesterday a friend asked me to post a tutorial on the book pockets I made for my boys beds a few years ago. I am more than happy to share! I do not have pictures of the actual process, but it is so simple that I am sure you all won't have any trouble following along.

My little guys are readers. It makes me so happy to see them developing a love for something I have always enjoyed so much. They like to stay up for a while every night, the younger ones simply looking through their board books and the older ones reading a few pages from one of their many chapter books. I'd always find the boys in the morning with lines on their faces where they had slept on the corners of their books (poor little fellas!) so I decided to make these book pockets! Now they have a place to stash their books and whatever other things may find their way into their beds at night (stuffed animals, plastic lizards, flash lights... you never know with boys)!

Here is what you need:
- piece of burlap, 16" wide by 48" long (or any other fabric you may choose, although I like the stiffness of the burlap)
- sewing machine

If you want to make the stenciled monogram, as I did, you will also need:
- letter stencil, mine is 6" tall by 5" wide (I actually made mine by printing a large "C" in a font of my choosing on card stock and cutting it out)
- black fabric paint
- sponge brush
 

Step 1: Fold over the long edges of your burlap 1/2" and sew them.
 

Step 2: Fold over one of the short edges 1/2" and sew it as well.

 
Step 3: Lay the burlap out with the sewn folded edges facing up. Take the short end of the burlap with the sewn edge and fold it up 12" to form the pocket. Now sew a line only along each of the outside edges of the pocket.

 
Step 4: Place your letter stencil centered on your pocket and using your black fabric paint, stencil it in with a sponge brush. Make sure you put some cardboard/newspaper/a paper plate in the pocket under the stencil before you paint it to catch any paint that seeps through.

 
Step 5: Once the paint has dried you simply lay the long end of the burlap under your mattress with the pocket hanging over the edge and your kiddos are ready to store some books! The weight of the mattress keeps the pocket from falling down.

That's it! I told you it was simple! Happy reading everyone!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At May 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM , Blogger The John Family said...

Love thanks!

 
At May 2, 2013 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

You're welcome, Shari! ~Devin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home