Friday, April 26, 2013

Monogrammed Kitchen Towels for Mom

Posted by Devin



April will soon be turning into May and that means that Mother's Day is right around the corner. Actually, it's just 2 weeks away now, yikes! If you need a simple idea for a homemade gift (and now that I'm a mom I realize mother's really DO love the homemade things their kids make for them), I've got the tutorial for you! This monogrammed kitchen towel only took me 15 minutes to put together and cost me less than a dollar as I already had most of the supplies on hand. I think it turned out super cute and will be making 4 more for all of the other mothers in my life.

Materials Needed:
- kitchen towel (the ones I purchased are 15" wide by 2' long)
- scrap fabric (1 square large enough for your letter and a 2" strip a little over twice as long as your towel is wide)
- Heat n' Bond
- rotary cutter or scissors
- letter stencil (my stencil square is 5" wide by 6" tall)

 
 

Step 1: Buy some simple kitchen towels. I was going to buy plain white ones and possibly paint a stripe down the side of them, but I came across these towels on clearance at Walmart and loved the stripes they already had. Score! Once you get them home, give them a good ironing to get out any wrinkles.


Step 2: Prepare your fabric for the monogram.  This is where the Heat n' Bond comes in. This stuff is amazing (I have a crafting-crush on Heat n' Bond, the possibilities are just endless!) and it is available at most crafting stores. I purchased mine at JoAnn's. To use it you simply cut a piece large enough for your letter stencil to fit on (mine is larger as I am planning on cutting out more letters later) and put it on the back side of your fabric, paper-side up.


You then press your iron, holding it still for 2 seconds, on each part of the paper. I usually have my iron on a cotton-setting, but you may need to adjust the heat to find the right temp for the Heat n' Bond to adhere. You will want to start at one end and work your way to the other, smoothing the paper as you go.


Step 3: Trace your stencil onto the paper and cut it out. Be careful with this step. Make sure you place your stencil right side down, otherwise you will end up with a backwards letter when you are done (and you know mama didn't raise no fool).


 

If you are cutting out a letter with a center, I fold the letter in half and make a snip. I then put my scissors into the slit and now you can cut the center out.



Step 4: Peel the paper off of the letter and place it right side up where you would like it to go on your towel. I folded my towel in half and placed it just right of center. This way it will look nice when it is folded and hanging in mom's kitchen.


Step 5: Iron it on. Take your warm iron and press and hold it over each part of the letter for 8 seconds. Do not move the iron around, just press and hold and then move on to the next section.


Step 6: Cut out a 2" strip of fabric. I cut mine 45" long so I would have plenty of fabric once I started to make the ruffle. I only ended up needing 32", but I just cut the ends off when I was done.


Step 7: Prepare the ruffle. I made the easiest ruffle ever. I took the fabric and folded it over every few inches and pinned it, creating a pleated look. Once I had pinned enough fabric to cover the width of the towel I stopped. Also, I did not hem my strip as I thought a frayed edge would be cute (and one step easier, woot woot!).


Step 8: Attach the ruffle to the back side of the towel and sew it on. To attach the ruffle, I lined up the top edge of my fabric with the seam line on the towel. This helped me to keep it straight.


Sew it!



Step 9: Cut off the left over fabric on each end of the ruffle and you are done! Put some ribbon around it, add a few kitchen gadgets or utensils and you have yourself a homemade Mother's Day present! Won't mom be proud? ;)

 

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At April 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Caitlin said...

I really am going to do this! As soon as I buy a new sewing machine! very cute guys! Thanks!

 
At April 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Caitlin, you were able to post a comment, yay! ;) And I'm so glad you like the towels, let me know if you end up making some! I think a burlap ruffle on the bottom would be super cute too, thinking about trying it out. ~Devin

 
At April 29, 2013 at 11:10 AM , Blogger hillari said...

So very cute! I'm wondering, did you make yourself some too? D for Devin? Thanks for sharing your ideas!

 
At April 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

LOL Hillari! Actually the D is for Denise, my mom. ;) Not a bad idea, though!

 
At April 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM , Blogger Jamie Whalen said...

I am SO excited to use that Heat'n Bond. I had no idea that excited and that will help me out with my sewing projects! :D

 
At April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Jamie Whalen said...

existed not excited haha

 
At May 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

I know what you mean Jamie! Heat n' Bond changed my crafting-life, lol! ~Devin

 
At June 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM , Blogger Harsha Joshi said...

Nice creativity with Kitchen Towels... Like

 
At June 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you! ~Devin

 
At June 15, 2013 at 2:52 AM , Blogger Ashley Warne said...

I will try this. Really like

Home online shopping in india

 
At August 21, 2015 at 10:59 PM , Anonymous kirti said...

Hi,

Nice tutorial for "Kitchen Towels for Mom". I am also a good creater of towels designs. Will also try your designs and share with you very soon.

 
At April 7, 2016 at 7:32 AM , Blogger Edward said...

It's really nice and article about kitchen towel set,
Monogram

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home