Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pallet Box & Bottles Decor

Posted by Devin
 
Quite some time ago I came across a planter box centerpiece from the Shanty to Chic ladies on Pinterest and fell in love with it.  After doing a few wooden pallet projects recently I remembered this box and decided to build my own using boards from my pallets.  The results were fabulous!  In fact, I couldn’t believe how similar my box looked to the original inspiration!  Check it out below, mine is on the right.  I could not be more in love with my new décor in my dining room and it is the perfect look for the approaching spring.

Another reason I am so proud of this project: I did all of the prying, sanding, sawing and nailing by myself!  No hubby help at all on this one.  

Pallet Box How-To

Materials Needed: 
2 wide pallet boards of the same size (mine are 5 ½” wide, 33 ¾“ long, and ¾” thick)
1 - 2x4” board (mine was actually 3 ¼”x1 ½”, but any board roughly this size should work, and I will   refer to my board as a 2x4” since that is SO much easier to type)
1 ½” nails (slightly smaller or larger is fine)
Hammer and mallet
Saw and miter box

Step 1:  To begin, I needed to remove my boards from my pallet.  I wedged the back side of my hammer under the boards near the nails and then hit it with a large mallet.  This took a little elbow grease and a lot of patience to make sure that I pried up the boards without splitting the wood. Thankfully I only needed to remove 2 boards for this project or I may have had to enlist Jake for help and cede my bragging rights to “no hubby help.”     
 
Once the boards are removed simply hammer the nails out from the back of the board.

Step 2:  After removing my pallet boards I measured their length.  My boards were 33 ¾” long.  I then took my 2x4” and using my miter box and saw I cut a piece of my board to the same size.

Step 3:  Sand all of your boards to prevent splinters.  I used an electric sander but you may choose to sand it by hand.

Step 3:  I took each of my pallet boards and slightly tapped 5 nails equally spaced into the bottom edge of the boards.  I then aligned the bottom edge of one of my pallet boards with the side of my 2x4” and hammered the nails in.  Once one side was done, I then repeated this process with the remaining pallet board on the other side.


Step 4:  The box is now lacking only the end pieces to complete it.  Simply measure the lengths of the pieces you need for the ends and cut off two blocks of the 2x4” in those sizes.  Place one of the end pieces in the space ready for it and nail it in.  Then repeat for the other end.  The tutorial from shanty-2-chic says to use wood glue before all of your nailing and you may choose to do that as well.  I did not bother with that step simply because my box is strictly for décor and will not need to hold up to excessive handling.

At this point my box was complete! I did not stain or paint or put any type of finish on mine as I was wanting a rough, authentic pallet look. 

Finding the bottles to go inside of my box was actually a little tough.  I wanted bottles that were slightly larger than average with a cool and simple logo on them.  I ended up finding mine at Cost Plus World Market.  I purchase 8 Boylan sodas: 3 Orange Sodas, 3 Cream Sodas, and 2 Black Cherry Sodas.  Yum!!!  We enjoyed drinking them over the weekend for a family night treat!   I also liked the look of the bottle caps so much that I made magnets out of them!  I simply used a dab of clear bathroom silicon to adhere magnets to the inside of the bottle caps and voila!  Super cute magnets!


 
As for the flowers, I found the exact same ones they used for my inspiration piece at Hobby Lobby.  Gotta love Hobby Lobby, every crafty lady’s favorite store.  I only needed 2 sprigs to be cut and divided among the 8 bottles and since all floral was on sale for 50% off I completed my project for a bargain price!
And there you have it!  Let Spring begin!!!
~Devin


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Mandy Hank said...

Loving this, just picked up a pallet and didn't know what to do with it yet :) Great idea!

 
At May 2, 2013 at 7:20 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks, Mandy! ~Devin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home